Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 supercharged97

supercharged97

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

Hey guys, I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron E1505 that when booting up gets through the BIOS and gets through the XP splash screen. After that it just sits at a black screen with just the cursor. Things I have tried: repair install on the XP OS, CHKDSK all that other good stuff, hooked the drive up externally and ran a virus scan. Every other option from boot does the same thing, Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config, all of them. The thing is I can access the files via hooking it up externally, but I can't get it to boot up. There is no activity lights from the drive when it gets to that point, it just stops there. Any ideas to try before reinstalling the OS? Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:01 PM

can you hit ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager
click on file and then new
then type explorer and click ok and see what happens.
if nothing happens repeat but type msconfig instead
then go to the startup tab and uncheck everything

#3 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

how long do you let it sit? maybe windows is trying to do something.
Posted Image

#4 supercharged97

supercharged97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

Yeah I cant get task manager to come up, if I hit ctrl-alt-del nothing happens. I will let it sit though to see if something eventually loads. Right now it is in safe mode with safe mode written around the screen with the version of the OS build written up top. It is odd, it just gets to this point and stops. I am thinking it could possibly be a bad section on the hard drive. If that is the case I am going to download the 32-bit diagnostics from dell and try running that. Any other thoughts or opinions would be helpful, just in case I am missing something here.

#5 Dark19

Dark19

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:50 AM

I had the same problem with my computer 1 week ago...did u remember before u make the reboot any warning came up?In my case a warning came up from Zone alarm and i denied it twice and after that i couldnt open anything,not even control panel..So i reboot and never got in windows again,i just had a black screen like you,no task manager.Even with safe mode i hade this black screen.
The only thing worked for me was format,thank god i had back up everything 1 month ago so i didnt lose many things.

Hope i helped

Edit : i am using Xp pro Sp2

Edited by Dark19, 18 December 2008 - 03:55 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users