Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom computer Screen messing up...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this because it doesn't really apply to just my OS, and my computer is custom.

Okay, I've had my computer since about August, and it's done this a few times, but this really is not fixing. It seems like the computer is running fine, but the screen is all scratchy.. kinda like it's artifacting. It's really hard to explain so I took some pics with my phone.

It was working fine just yesterday, but I had to move out of my dorm and back to my house, and all the sudden... boom, its doing this. I usually just fiddle with the power management in the BIOS, and change some stuff around, maybe switch the plugs in my GPU and hope for the best, and that usually seems to work! But this time... not so much.

Here are some pics of what happens during bootup, and it's very very odd..

1. EVGA Logo on initial boot:
Posted Image

2. In the BIOS (tons of 0's or something...):
Posted Image

3. Still in boot stage, but gets to the point where it says "BOOT MNGR cannot be found" or whatever, but I just reinstalled vista:
Posted Image

My specs are:
EVGA 790i Ultra
XFX 280GTX
4Gb Patriot DDR3
Q6600

ANY Help would be extremely appreciated, so please please put in your 2 cents. I'm thinking about flashing the BIOS, but I'm not sure how. I've already done all the "reset to default" nonsense, but I really just don't know what to do anymore.

Thank you SO much for your help, and Happy Holidays!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Normally that happens when you have either overclocked your g-card too far or you g-card is overheating or both. I would try and find a different g-card maybe barrow one for a minute and see if you have that problem at least for pic # 1.

For the Bios picks seems like there are some errors. Did you do a bios update yet? I would search yahoo or google for say "Evga 790i problems" or something alog those lines to see if anything comes up. Maybe other people have had the same problem with this mobo but seeing all those 000000000 i would say the bios is bad.

Edited by Lucky23, 17 December 2008 - 07:51 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

You said you moved it. The first thing to try would be to re-seat the video card if you haven't done that already

Edited by garmanma, 17 December 2008 - 07:55 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

I have not overclocked the GPU at all, and it shouldn't be over heating, my case temps never peak over 27 or 28.

I actually tried reseating it, and it worked to get that type of screen off, but then it froze when I was loading Vista, so I rebooted, and it's doing it again! UGH!

And I've installed the new 790i Ultra BIOS, but the bios looks like that every time I get the scrambled screen, so I think that's just going along with it.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

How clean is the stuff inside your case? Is it really dusty? I would think not, since the specs make it seem like a quite recent build.

Cleaning helps with some things, even though it might not solve the problem. Moving it could have knocked some dust free.

Can you get an old BIOS and try that? Did you install anything before moving it?

What about completely removing your graphics card? can you connect to onboard video and seeing if the problem is through your card?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:57 AM

Is it possible that the move out of the dorm could have damaged either the motherboard or graphics card? Remember that if you revert back to an older BIOS, you may have issues with Windows. You could try using a different GPU or on-board graphics, if you have any, to see if it is the card or mobo that is causing the problem. If one is damaged, you may be able to RMA the card back to eVGA.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users