Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix-It Utilities™ Deluxe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tenacious d-store

tenacious d-store

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Fix-It Utilitiesâ„¢ Deluxe

My comp has been running slow and freezing a lot. I keep hearing ads for this product on the Howard Stern show. It's only $20 so I'm tempted to purchase it, but there is so many similar products out there (most of which are just full of more spyware and crap that slows down your comp further). Can anyone vouch for it? Does anyone here actually use it? The link above is safe and just some info.

Edited by tenacious d-store, 17 December 2008 - 03:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

It looks very similar to System Mechanic which I used years ago. What I learned at BC is there are plenty of free apps that do exactly what this product says it will do. And there are things you don't need like the registry cleaner. You don't have to be a geek to keep your computer safe. You just have to be dilligent and consistent. I can't speak for others but I wouldn't spend my money on this or any other similar product.

#3 tenacious d-store

tenacious d-store
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

can you suggest a safe similar free version of this. I use a registry cleaner from time to time, and have no knowledge what I'm actually deleting when it's down (very bad I know). My comp used to be so fast and it's like I'm running on dial up speed now. I don't want to spend $ to have it serviced so I guess I'm just looking for cheaper alternatives. I think I just have too many programs constantly running on my comp, but I don't know enough about computers to rectify that. I uninstalled things like MSN, Skype and a free trial version of microsoft office hoping it would help, but it really didn't.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:52 AM

I use CCleaner to automatically clean out temp and junk files. It has a registry cleaner and other stuff. I don't use them. There is no magic pill. You add stuff to your computer. It's going to run slower. The main culprits are virus protection and firewalls but you need that stuff. Here's the link to CCleaner. Make sure you read the tutorial.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:09 AM

My comp used to be so fast and it's like I'm running on dial up speed now. I don't want to spend $ to have it serviced so I guess I'm just looking for cheaper alternatives. I think I just have too many programs constantly running on my comp, but I don't know enough about computers to rectify that.

Have you read this topic:
Slow Computer?

Regarding the Registry, unless you have a specific problem you're trying to correct, it's best to stay out of the Registry.
Registry cleaners mark entries as bad, depending on what the software creator thinks, is bad.
That's why no 2 cleaners will find all of the, same "problems".
Registry "problems" actually have very little effect, on the overall performance of the operating system.

Please see this article:
XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners

If you're not experienced with working in the registry, and judging by your comments, you're not, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
If you do insist on using Registry cleaners, ALWAYS backup the registry BEFORE making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article.)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users