Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi Use monitor? Video Switch Box?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 caveman08

caveman08

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

I would like to use my new 24" Widescreen Monitor for watching TV, playing X-box, and using my computer. Is there a device that would allow me to do this and where can i find it.

About 5 years ago I worked for a custom car shop and instead of buying expensive monitors for cars, we would buy pc monitors and hook them up to a converter for playing playstation and dvds, I'm pretty sure we bought the devices at either best buy or office depot, however I have checked both stores and com up empty.

I purchased a USB device called ATI TV Wonder and am terribly disappointed with its performance. When trying to play Guitar Hero it doesn't get past the loading screen, however I was able to play GrandTheftAuto but the graphics were terrible, playing it on an old television was much better! So I would like to bypass the computer alltogether.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

caveman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

Something like this?
http://www.cecompass.com/index.asp?PageAct...D&ProdID=26

http://www.cecompass.com/index.asp?PageAct...CFQObFQodCXofSA
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 caveman08

caveman08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:42 AM

Something like that, only the inputs needed are VGA, and HDMI or RCA,,, with a DVI or VGA Out

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

Just to let you know. A lot of different switches are not compatible with adapters and gender changers
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 caveman08

caveman08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

I appreciate the help, as stated in my 1st post, 5 years ago I could buy a converter from RCA in to VGA out... I know that some company somewhere has to still offer a similiar item.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Perform-Converter-S-...r/dp/B0010WGZQK
Mark
Posted Image

#7 caveman08

caveman08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:31 AM

that is like the exact opposite of what i'm looking for, thanks for your effort

Edited by caveman08, 21 December 2008 - 12:31 AM.

#8 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

Don't know if I can help you much but I believe I have seen the device you are talking about. TWICE ... once about three years ago at a friend's truck repair facility and last year at a symposium which was for devices for the blind. I can't remember the name of the device but I betcha if you look thru some of the devices for the blind or for assistive technology you will find it. Good luck.

Come to think of it you might want to try Advent Wireless Solutions. Or you might try some of the X-10 wireless stuff
for cameras etc. Or how about a simple rf-transceiver?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users