Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Different power connectors on MB?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 2zzgtte

2zzgtte

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

I just started my build and on my motherboard I have a normal 24-pin power connector for the power. Now, I also found one that was an 8-pin that says "PWR2" right by it. What is the need for this one?

My problem is that with my power supply I have both of those power connectors but the 24 pin one fits, and the 8 pin doesn't fit in the 8-pin one. What is weird about it is that the 8-pin one has 2 halves. one has 6 pins and that one fits just fine. now the other half (the 2-pins) doesn't fit right next to it like i'm thinking it is supposed to..... I don't understand.

Now this is where i get really confused. I tried to start my computer with everything hooked up and only THAT 6-PIN connector in in the 8-pin slot. I also had the normal 24-pin one in too. I flipped the power switch on the power supply and the lights came on and whatever. I tried to press the power button, and it make a noise like it wanted to turn off but it killed itself.

I tried like 3 more times and same thing. So i disconnected the 6-pin cable (considering the 2 extra pins didn't fit) from the 8 pin slot and then wah la! it started up fine. I really hope i didn't screw anything up.... I have yet to try it.... Any suggestions or am I missing something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

Could you please tell us what motherboard and PSU you are using?

That eight pin connector is to power the CPU. You may have to find an adapter for this to work.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 2zzgtte

2zzgtte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

I am using XFX nvidia 750a SLI.

Do you think I hurt anything?

#4 2zzgtte

2zzgtte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Alright, well i kinda of figured my own problem out. I am missing the "8-pin" connector that is supposed to come with my PSU for the CPU. I have a OCZ modstream pro PSU and it says that it is supposed to be in there and it is not.....

I think I was trying to connect the PCI-e connector to the CPU spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users