Sorry, it's not something I'm familiar with quite much
I'm just around to help with small prelim and cleanup around the site (as well as maybe some random things), so it being 0 bytes is something I don't know about.
I do know, from what I can pick up from research, that the reason why you can't open it is because of a permissions thing. At least I think from the sounds of it. I'm not sure where to find how to enable it, but I can try to look around for a bit if you'd like.
Let's just make a fresh restore point just to be sure.
If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one
. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back
" to a clean working state.The easiest and safest way to do this is
- Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
- Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
- Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
- Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
- Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
- Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
- Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
- Click Yes, then click Ok.
- Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
- Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings
" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser
Edited by scff249, 18 December 2008 - 08:30 AM.
"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo