Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe reader replaces all *.exe programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computermd

computermd

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

I have Vista home premium and downloaded Adobe Reader from Adobe website. The install seems fine until all the icons on the desktop change to be Adobe and clicking on anything just brings up Adobe Reader. If i uninstall Adobe everything goes back to normal. I have tried some regedit links, but nothing is working. Is there anything else I can try or am I not doing the regedit files correctly. even a manual fix would be okay. Pretty computer lit, but Vista is just a little different. I'm trying not to do a wipe and reload if at all possible.

Any and all help would be fantastic!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hi computermd,

First - When you installed the reader, did you download the installation program for Vista? Are you using this link?

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

If you didn't use this link and select Vista, then do that as the first attempt at a solution to this problem.

If you've downloaded the correct installation program for Vista, and it's the Vista version that is causing the file association problem, you will find someone with this same problem where the solution offered is to uninstall Adobe and then run the .exe file association fix. However your file association problem seems to go away when you uninstall Adobe, so I wonder if you could use the file association fix after the installation at that point when the problem occurs.

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/936013.htm

Did either of the above work?
Zllio

#3 computermd

computermd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and wiped and reloaded the system. Afterwards I downloaded Adobe and all was well.

Thanks for your help!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users