Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant chkdsk problems...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 snow f

snow f

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

I can run chkdsk /f everytime I restart on my gf's seriously lame pc, but it always finds things wrong.

Failing hard-drive or??

I installed a downloaded version of norton systemworks 2009, but it just appears to make chkdsk run at boot, so no difference.

your thoughts? :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

When she shuts it off does she by any chance just flip the switch on a power strip?
Some people actually think that's a convenient way of powering down everything
at once!! :thumbsup:

If not that then you might try getting a diagnostic program from the drive manufacturer's site.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

I suggest uninstalling Norton SystemWorks. I used it for some time and the chkdsk tool is really superior and doesn't add an unnecessary program to your system. In general, NSW is a tool designed to perform features which any user can already do with any XP install...and the redundancy can be a problem.

I have to ask...why do you run chkdsk at every boot?

If Windows does it (automatically), it's an indication that there may be file/hard drive problems...as previously suggested, I also recommend running a diagnostic of the hard drive (if such is the case).

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users