Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regcure

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Spacegold

Spacegold

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:55 AM

As y'all probably know, Regcure is among the highest rated registry cleanup tools on the net right now. Free download! Free scan! So I check it out and the scan produces a bunch of found conditions needing attention. If I want regcure to fix them, I have to give Paretologic $29.95 for the program key. Well, I figure, why not? This will undoubtedly be a recurring problem and here is the fix forever. So I give them the money and they send me the key. When I put it into the program it thanks me and gives me a sweet little message that says "see ya this time next year when your registration expires." I thought I bought a program, but I got a damn subscription. Well, I guess I'll use it for the year and then go looking for something else next year. Just thought y'all might like to know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

Actually, we do not recommend any registry cleaners. They do not do what they claim to do and can damage your computer more often than not
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Spacegold

Spacegold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

That is a very interesting statement. Being a Joe Computer, I would probably not understand any explanation. What can I expect in the way of damage from Regcure?

Edited by Spacegold, 18 December 2008 - 11:36 PM.

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

Just do not use registry cleaners.They often cause more problems than they solve.If you dont use it you will come to no harm.

#5 Spacegold

Spacegold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hmmmmm. I wonder why the computer magazines don't know this. I have used Regcure on an XP machine without any problems.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

You've been lucky. :thumbsup:
Unless you have a specific problem you're trying to correct, it's best to stay out of the Registry.
Registry cleaners mark entries as bad, depending on what the software creator thinks, is bad.
That's why no 2 cleaners will find all of the, same "problems".
Registry "problems" actually have very little effect, on the overall performance of the operating system.

Please see this article:
XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners

If you're not experienced with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
If you do insist on using Registry cleaners, ALWAYS backup the registry BEFORE making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article.)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

Just to add a little to this subject - you may use a registry cleaner successfully dozens of times, but then WHAMMO, and you will be cursing the day you did. You will not find a guru here at BC ever recommending one except for a specific purpose when absolutely necessary.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/179604/registry-cleaning/

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 Spacegold

Spacegold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

Okay, I'm convinced. And thanks for all the intelligent comments.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

You're quite welcome, Spacegold.
Glad we were able to enlighten you.

The registry, is not a place for the inexperienced, unless you don't mind possibly creating a big, pretty, expensive doorstop. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

I could be howled down here, but I personally think that most major Problems involving Computers, include four things?

1. Playing about with the Registry.

2. Playing about with Windows' Files.

3. Incorrect RAM and Hardware Match ups.

4. Viruses and Malware and all varients.

The rest are just easy, simple ones.

BTW after working on a Vista Machine for the past couple of Days, I was tempted to include Vista on a Machine in the above!

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 02 January 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

Am very tempted to agree with you Abacus, LOL.
With XP Pro, Vista Home and Vista Premium, I know which one I always go for if poss.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 Tehsplink

Tehsplink

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

While registry cleaners are 'dodgy', i do recommend ones that make backups with every change you make.

Such as CCleaner, and my favorite because it also corrects faulty system settings - IObit Advanced SystemCare V3 which makes a backup and is easily restorative.
Please PM me if i have been assisting you and do not reply for 24 hours!

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

Just out of curiosity, how effective is that back-up, when you crash to an un-bootable state, due to mucking around in the registry? :thumbsup:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, how effective is that back-up, when you crash to an un-bootable state, due to mucking around in the registry? :thumbsup:

Registry backups can be restored using the sacred and arcane art of the Recovery Console.

Save yourself the pain in the backside and avoid the registry at all costs.

#15 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

I think my dad said it best when i was messing with his brand new Acer 95.

"Stay out of the registry, Your gonna kill that machine"

Boy was he right. lmao.
::'00 Thinkpad:::'09 Aspire One:::'07 WL1:::'10 SS2::

If its got two B's its for me. BlackBerry for ever.

"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right."

--White Lightning 1 & The Silver Surfer 2-- Anybody for TF2???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users