Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy fan on video card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jsaklas

jsaklas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

My computer has a Siluro GF4 T14200 OTES video card. I play no games so I am happy with this cards performance.

However, the fan has started to make a whirring/whistling noise.

I have 3 questions.

1. Can only the fan of the Thermal Exhaust System be replaced?
2 If not, is this card still available?
3. If neither #1 nor #2 are affirmative, then what card can I install to replace the one I have. My main criteria are that it installs easily, software, drivers, etc., are easily loaded and compatible with XP Home, and lastly cheap but reliable. Since I don't play any games, I don't need any more capability than what I now have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

I once had a GeForce 4 card, too. I had to replace it after five years when the fan failed. Most aftermarket cooling solutions are designed to fit a number of graphics cards. However, given the age of your card, getting a cooler would be difficult. That card comes from 2002, NVidia has since then released GeForce FX, 6, 7, 8, 9, and GTX 200. Needless to say, the card is unavailable for a reasonable price. Installing a new graphics card is easy. Uninstall the old drivers, power down and remove the old card, place the new card in, and finally power up and install the drivers. Note the cards below are AGP, which, I think, your card is.

JATON 3DForce6200Twin GeForce 6200 256MB - This card does not have a fan, instead it uses a large heat sink. The fans in the case remove the excess heat. $57
ZOTAC ZT-62AA250-HSS GeForce 6200 256MB - Similar to the one above, but is cheaper. $34

3939.png

#3 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info.

I ordered a card, if I have problems installing it I will give you a holler.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:01 AM

Which card did you decide to get?

3939.png

#5 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

I ordered: PNY VCGFX522AEB GeForce FX 5200

I looked up the specs on my Siluro and it seems that this PNY matches it well, except that is does not have a fan. Since I don't game I and my box has 2 fans in addition to the power unit fan, I assumed I didn't have to worry too much about it overheating.

It is always dangerous for an over 60 year old computer novice to strike out on his own and not get exactly what is recommended by someone who knows -- did I goof up? or is the PNY OK?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

There's nothing wrong with a 5200 it's just very old, I can't even find it an my favorite online computer retailer Newegg, and I thought they had everything. PNY is ok, most companies that manufacture cards are largely identical. NVidia, or ATI if you get one of their cards, release the manufacturing specifications to PNY, eVGA, XFX, etc. and they manufacture the cards.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users