Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Blue Screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldirty

oldirty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

My computer froze and I restarted it. When it was restarting, it just got to a blank blue screen and never went further. The cursor shows but that is all. Tried restarting again but am only getting the same results.

Im pretty illiterate with computers so any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

Hi oldirty,

Can you boot into safe mode by tapping on the F8 key during the boot sequence? If not, please post that here. If you can get to the alternate menu, choose safe mode and go into an account with administrative rights. Then try going back to a restore point from before this problem started.

If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date.

Zllio

#3 oldirty

oldirty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

I tried doing that but it does not work, the computer still just starts up to the blank screen.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi olddirty,

If your computer is not a laptop, unplug it computer from the wall and let it sit for awhile. Then check all the cables in your machine to make sure they are seated properly. Then try rebooting again. If you still get the blue screen, see if you can boot from the cd. If so, attempt a repair install. There are some instructions for that in these two links:

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Please post back after you've tried these things.

Zllio

#5 oldirty

oldirty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

The computer is a laptop. Unfortunately, I cant reboot from the CD today b/c I do not have it on me. I'll be able to try doing that next week once I get the CD though. (Cd is with my parents....)

Do you have any other suggestions in the meantime that would not require using the CD?

Thanks a lot for all the help.

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Try borrowing a cd.
It needs to be the same operating system at the same level.
So - if you have XP Pro with SP2, then it needs to be that. If you have XP Home with SP1, then it needs to be that. I don't think SP3 will matter, but you need a cd that is like the one that is at home at your parents. Then you should be able to try a repair.

Zllio

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

Before doing a repair install you could try running chkdsk on the drive. Download this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

and then burn it to a CD as an ISO. Insert the CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users