Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network List and Location awareness services fail to start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SepmoN

SepmoN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hey all, first time postin' though decided I'd go straight to business.

Ok, these problems started out seemingly at random one morning as I turned on the PC(I don't know what I did to start them except turning it on).

I'm running on Vista Home and the problem is, as I start the computer I receive a message from the toolbar saying that certain services failed to start and thus I cannot connect to the net and tells me to refer to the event log.

The main errors it seems are related. The first is:

ID 7024 "Network Location Awareness service terminated with service specific error 3221226008 (0xC0000218).

The second

ID 7001 " Network List Service depends on Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because the service had not been started"

Now when i try to start the service in administrative tools on my own it states "windows oculd not start the service on this computer"

what am I to do?

Also I checked event log and am also unable to gain access to the DHCP client because access is denied(Envent ID 1004)

Edited by SepmoN, 16 December 2008 - 10:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

0xC0000218 is an UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR (as opposed to an UNKNOWN_EASY_ERROR? :huh:
Here's a link to a description of the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x218
Can you connect to the web by using Safe Mode with Networking?

With the Access Denied error, I'd suspect the most likely problem to be malware. You'll have to ensure that the system is clean before proceeding with further testing - as an infected system can mimic many other problems.

If you're not able to connect to the web to scan the system, then I'd suggest slaving the hard drive to another computer and scanning it there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users