Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"your room's server is not found"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Flo

Flo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hello,

I really hope someone can help me with this.

I have a new to me computer with Window's 98 SE, which is what I had before on my old system. However, with the new system, all of the updates were downloaded along with Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack. I did not have this on my other system.

On my old system I was able to connect with a chat room that came from Hotconference.com, a voice, text, and video room. I got it from my favorite, safest website. However, now I cannot connect.

I have uninstalled and downloaded, many times. I tried lowering security features. I read one of the posts here, and followed the directions for the person who could not get videos anymore, and went to trusted sites and unchecked "required server verification" hoping this would do it, but it didn't.

I can download all updates to the "Conference Room" and I get to the point of signing in and connecting, but I get the message "your room's server cannot be found"

Can you help me at all?

I thinking the best thing to do at this point, because nobody seems to know what to do, is to get rid of the Win 98 SE and all that goes with it and reinstall it with my copy without all the uogrades and service pack.

Any advice?

Flo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

The windows updates and service packs are mostly to increase the security of your system. If you revert to an original copy of windows 98SE you will be more vulnerable to malware infections. It seems an unnecessary way to go rather than trying to pin down your problem with one site.

nobody seems to know what to do

Have you already tried to diagnose this elsewhere?

I would recommend you read these tutorials before you connect your system to the internet:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Ste...rnet-tut86.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Sim...rnet-tut82.html

Just a quick thought - what happens if you try connecting with Firefox?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Flo

Flo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:37 PM

Hello,

I've never heard of Firefox. As for going back to my original Windows 98 I have never had a problem in the last 10 years of being connected to the internet.

In order for me to make a connection with my Conference room I have to be connected to the internet already. It then looks for any upgrades and installs if there are any then it opens the conference room, it already has my name and when I click ok, it then tries to find the server. That is where I get the error.
"your room's server is not found".

I am puzzled because with the old system, there was never a problem. It is only with this new one with all it's updates that I cannot connect to the server, while already connected to the internet.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with connecting with wherever the upgrades are coming from, it is when everything is done that it stops. I have been told there is a voice port connected to the room, but I am not sure if this is the problem or not. Is there some way to open a port for it to connect to?

Take care,
Flo

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:52 AM

Flo - there is so much I don't understand about your setup I really should not comment anymore.

Just in case it can help you Firefox can be downloaded here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
It is an alternativeto Internet explorer, widely regarded as being a major improvement on IE particularly in terms of security, ease of use, and speed of operation. You can run it at the same time as IE without conflict. I use it myself.

I had a look at hotconference.com but saw the descrition P2P and backed out of there at warp factor 9. P2P or properly peer-to-peer is a networking protocol which allows a group of users to share their resources using the internet as a link between systems. P2P is most commonly found in the music "sharing" communities and is notorious for allowing almost anyone complete access to your PC. Want your PC to become a spyware sewer? Join a P2P community!

I have never had a problem in the last 10 years of being connected to the internet.

I think you have been very, very lucky. Why do you think sites like BC exist?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:04 AM

This sounds like a security settings problem.

There are a great number of VOIP services out there, though I don't believe most of them have chat rooms - just voice.

In your browser, make sure your privacy settings are set to "medium." (Tools -> Internet Options, privacy tab)

If that doesn't work, I think I'd contact Hotconference.com and ask them how to set your security settings. I couldn't find anything on their home page. They would know exactly what's needed. As to Windows 98 being patched - that's a good thing. You are far too vulnerable without the patches.

#6 Flo

Flo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:48 PM

Hello,

Thank you both for your help and concern. I think I'll just let it be for now. I have tried everything with the Security and Privacy settings but nothing works, I even have Hotconference in my trusted zone. Maybe it's time to give up and set things back to the way they should be.

I will try the Firefox connection though.

Take care,
Flo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users