Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing, possibly due to KBD.exe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thedoomedpixel

thedoomedpixel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

I use a Windows XP.

For a while now, my computer has been giving me error messages whenever I boot the computer. These messages say, "KBD.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. We are sorry for any inconvenience." It then also gives me the option to debug, send a error report, or close without sending an error report. No matter which option I choose, the computer then proceeds to freeze up within about a minute or so, forcing me to shut it off and reboot. The cycle repeats itself...you get the idea.

Does anybody know what the problem could be? I know that KBD.exe has something to do with the keyboard, and that simply replacing the keyboard doesn't fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

I believe that it is to do with multimedia functions on HP keyboards.

You might try reinstalling the keyboard software in Safe Mode if possible.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 thedoomedpixel

thedoomedpixel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Alright. I am, however, utterly computer-illiterate when it comes to things like that. How do you install keyboard software in Safe Mode?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

This might be of some help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=reg_R1002_USEN

Post back if you have any problems with these instructions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 thedoomedpixel

thedoomedpixel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

I managed to start the update, to where it was saying "Updating-Please Wait", but then my computer froze before it finished.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

Try installing the update in Safe Mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users