Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix bug (no log)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 ManxT

ManxT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

I havnt found any help anywhere with this specific error

after the first three lines (scanning for infected files, etc..) I get the line '\Application was unexpected at this time' (no quotes) after a few seconds and then nothing seems to happen after that
I close combofix, and it doesnt make a log or anything, it keeps the time altered even after I restart. nothing else is running , I dont really seem to have any malware. I've done a search engine search on the string "Application was unexpected at this time" and come up with nothing. The only thing in my hijackthis log that comes up as unrecognized is 'O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe'
I "fix" that and I still get the same result in combo fix, plus that line keeps coming back

I am familiar with how combofix SHOULD work but this has me stumped

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

I believe "ctfmon.exe" is a valid file. See here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/c...n.exe-1121.html. You might want to post your problem in this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/. First read this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ before posting a log. The malware experts will help you.

Edited by thcbytes, 16 December 2008 - 08:57 PM.

Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hello ManxT,

ComboFix should not to be discussed outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please create a new topic explaining the nature of your problem in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.

If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.

Thank you for using BleepingComputer as your malware removal source.