Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major flaw revealed in Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

I just read this article on IE having a major security issue and I have to say it makes me very concerned. They say to use Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. Are these really secure?
Which is the best one?

Here is the article: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111811

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

IE has always been targeted by hackers and malware programmers because it has the lion's share of the browser market and will cause the most disruption (just as they like it) This makes vulnerabilities look worse than they are.

I think there is a general move to recommend alternative browsers such as Firefox or Opera because of this and there is certainly no big reason to stick with IE other than familiarity.

My advice is to try FF or Opera (or Chrome, though this is still in the early stages) and see what you think. The basic features are similar in style and use so it isn't a big step.

Of course, If (or some people would say, when) FF overtakes IE and the malware developers switch their attention to another browser they may decide to offer advice the other way
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

When you install Fire Fox it ask to you want to import all the IE stuff like favorites and passwords into Fire Fox. Do I or is this not a good idea?

Also when you download something with Fire Fox where do the files go to? Can I change this? I would like to be able to tell it where to save the file. Each time maybe a different place.

Thanks

Edited by tim_ver, 16 December 2008 - 07:06 PM.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Importing IE settings into FF should be okay. If you aren't sure then have your antivirus scan the settings, bookmarks, etc folders

You can also decide where you want downloads to be saved by clicking Tools>Options in the Firefox menu. under Main / Downloads select the Save files to option and click the Browse button.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28258894

more details
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users