Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not starting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 r0xicet

r0xicet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Okay, I am new to the forum. I have a question. Right now I have a HP m1070n, the computer originally came with 512 mb ram, 128 mb shared video card and a 3.4 p4 processor. Instead of buying a new computer I decided to just purchased new hardware for the computer. I bought two 2gb pc 6400 ddr sticks of ram, a Geforce 8600 gts 256 mb ddr3 graphics card and finally a intel E2160 processor. Well after I put everything in and tried to start it up it didn't start. Typically there is a blue light on the front of the computer that turns on and it is not turning on. I did make sure I was grounded before I went inside the computer, everything was unhooked from the computer prior to putting the parts in as well.

One thing is that the graphics card fan is working. It came with connections for the power supply, I plugged the graphics card into the power supply. Then, just to check. I unplugged the computer and I unplugged the graphics card from the power supply and the fan still worked on the graphics card.

There are 4 slots set up for the ram, I used to have three different sticks of ram plugged in before, the computer came with 2 256 mb sticks and I put in a 512 mb stick.

I hope I didn't screw up anything bad... but you never know. I guess if anyone has an idea of what I might have to do let me know.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum

Take it back to basics again ie the way it was and see if you can get it to post that way.

What version of Windows are you running? I will assume XP.
Windows XP will puke with that many hardware changes all at once.
Particularly on a system that was not meant to be upgraded or messed with much.

Make sure that you have an original XP CD (assumed OS).
You will need it!

Add one element at a time. CPU first.
HP systems are thorny beasts. They dont like changes!

Also, you may now have an insufficient power supply to power the system.
Just because the fans spin doesnt mean that it has the power to post the system
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users