Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformatting my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doctorfeelgood

doctorfeelgood

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

I'm operating a windows xp computer. Im having many problems with drives and itunes and my network. If i want to reformat my hard drive what is the easiest way to go. Also how long do u think this will take. Sorry i'm just not that good with computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

That depends on your formatting method. A simple format shouldn't take very long, but formatting with security in mind (as in wipe the drive once, write random 0's and 1's, and erase again a few times) will take several hours. Darik's Book and Nuke comes highly recommended. Make sure you backup any data you don't want erased and make sure you have the disc to reinstall Windows. Problems related to hardware malfunctions will not be fixed with a reformat and some issues might not go away entirely.

3939.png

#3 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

I'm operating a windows xp computer. Im having many problems with drives and itunes and my network. If i want to reformat my hard drive what is the easiest way to go. Also how long do u think this will take. Sorry i'm just not that good with computers.

You would only need a simple reformat, which is very very easy to do- regardless of your pc knowledge.

First, back-up all data from your hard drive to an external device, such as a external hard drive, or burn data to dvd or cd's.

Once you have all your data backed up, you now need to make sure you have all the correct drivers for when you reformat - when you buy a pc, you will have a drivers cd, take a look to see if you have it.

If you can't find the drivers cd, then download DriverMax which is a program that allows you to back-up and export your drivers - save a copy of the backed up drivers and also a copy of the software and burn to a cd for when you reformat.

Now, you need to have your XP CD and product key to hand.

Click this link http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/gee...atch-157578.php

Print out the page and you are ready to reformat your hard drive and install windows.

Edited by Franky-99, 17 December 2008 - 03:03 AM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:13 AM

In Windows, most drivers will download automatically once it has loaded, however, you should be prepared to download them if necessary. Sometimes Windows won't find all drivers.

3939.png

#5 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

Is it a custom comp or name brand? If it a name brand then you just throw in the restore disks and the computer basically does everything for you.

If you have a custom then just follow thes instructions.

Windows XP Install instructions

Only step different that you will have to take is that when you get to screen 6 your current partition (or your current install of xp and all downloads) will be displayed. You wont be able to go past this point unless you delete the partition. After it deleted you will see a new partition with the total space on the hard drive select it and continue on to step 7.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users