Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defragmenting help.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 korky122

korky122

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

my comp runs very slow. hp window me. they say defragmenting it will make it run faster. how come it takes forever. any sugestions. what else could i do to make it run faster. besides spyware removal.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:44 PM

It's best to defragment in Safe Mode, or your defrag will keep restarting due to things running in the background and writing to the hard drive. (such as an antivirus)

To get into Safe mode, keep pressing the F8 key while restarting your computer, then choose Safe Mode from the list that pops up. It will look a bit strange since your video drivers won't be loaded.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

You may also be running out of free space on your hard drive, check this by going to My Computer right-clicking on the C drive and select Properties. This will show you a pie chart of how much hard drive space is still free. If there is not much free space try a free cleanup tool called CCleaner.
Download CCleaner from here:
CCleaner

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:45 PM

Strongly second above posts re using CCleaner to remove crud and doing your defrag in safe mode. You did not mention the size of your HD, but even a relatively small one can take many hours to defrag if things are badly disorganized in there. Good luck.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:24 PM

In addition to the good advice above, it is always good to review your files and delete anything you don't need, or save them to disk and delete, and then run scandisk before you defrag.
Even in safe mode, if you have not defragged in some time (or at all) it will take some time; you can let defrag run overnight if needed. Thereafter, if you defrag on a regular basis, it will take much less time.

There was a recent poll about how often members defrag:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...c=17720&hl=poll

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:36 AM

jgweed tells the truth... on my old P1 200mhz when i first defragmented my HD (i think it was 4gb or something like that) it took almost the whole night... then after that it took like from 30 min to an hour (i moved alot of stuff around and installed and uninstalled alot) so defragmenting will help just get through the first time then you should be okay

Edited by legoman786, 15 May 2005 - 11:36 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 korky122

korky122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:10 PM

how come the colors look retarted on the desktop when i download ccleaner. o yea my harddrive space. i used 5gigs of 40

#8 korky122

korky122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

nevermind. all good.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

So is your system running at normal speed now?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users