Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dll error

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 singh101

singh101

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

when i started my computer,it could not start, the message displayed was Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

when i put the windows xp cd to repair it said that windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

please help.

Edited by singh101, 16 December 2008 - 04:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

Take a look, various efforts to solve:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htm

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Louis

#3 singh101

singh101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

i checked all the links but i cannot do anything because i cannot start the windows and the windows xp cd doesn't work

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

<<...and the windows xp cd doesn't work>>

Are we talking about a Microsoft XP install CD...or are we talking boxmaker (Dell, eMachines, etc.) restore/recovery CDs?

Can you get into the BIOS/Setup to change boot options? You do not want to boot into Windows if you are trying to do any repair functions from the Recovery Console or do a repair install of XP.

"Doesn't work" does not provide a lot of useful information to someone who wasn't there when you made the attempt.

Louis

#5 singh101

singh101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

yes i am talking about the windows xp cd, i followed the tutorial that you gave me and it said to put the window xp cd in and i started the computer, it said windows setup and when i entered it said hal.dll error. i cannot start my computer even in the safe mode.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

Now...when you inserted the CD, did you try to go to the Recovery Console or did you try to do a repair install? The two options are presented onscreen, along with an option to cancel (I believe).

If you tried to go to the Recovery Console...I suppose that might prompt the error you received.

If you tried to do a repair install...that should have happened, since a repair install is one of the methods for overcoming the hal.dll error messages.

You tried all of the things listed on the About.com link?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#7 singh101

singh101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

as i told you that when i inserted the windows xp cd it said that following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

please helpc :thumbsup:

Edited by singh101, 21 December 2008 - 04:08 PM.

#8 jenidee

jenidee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:04 PM

Is it considered rude to chip into someone else's post? If so, I do apologise. I have exactly the same problem, but as the Recovery Disk doesn't work, I can't access the Recovery console, and I don't have an installation disk, the creek seems to be waiting. i even tried the installation disk from an ancient desktop, and that too was a failure.

Has nobody thought of this possibility? If I can't get past this error message, I can't do anything. Can I?
H-e-l-p!!
jenidee

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

Recovery/restore disks are an entirely different proposition.

These may or may not possess options for repair, depending on the system manufacturer...while a Microsoft XP CD definitely was designed with an eye to providing repair options previously mentioned.

The Recovery Console from Windows XP is available for download, but a working Internet connection is a necessity to download anything. Once downloaded, user needs to burn the .iso file into a bootable CD format, using any program that burns .iso files.

Bottom line: The Recovery Console is a set of tools that will fix many different XP problems...but it will not fix everything, it will not overcome malware situations, and it will not have any impact on hardware situations. In many of these cases, a clean install may be necessary to even find out what the problem is or overcome such.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Louis

#10 jenidee

jenidee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

D'you ever feel that a scream is the only possible action? I downloaded the xp_rec_con... and, guess what? The *** wouldn't unzip!! I just don't believe it. Find a pooter shop? Or a wealthy "uncle"? Or both?!
But thanks for your help.
J

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

I just downloaded the Recovery Console zipped file - and it extracted fine on my system (it gets you a file of the same name that ends in .iso)
I'd suggest trying to download it again in case your download was corrupted.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

...and you will need a program like Active@ Iso Burner to burn the bootable CD.

Active@ ISO Burner. Data CD DVD burning software. Write ISO image to CD,DVD,CD-RW,CDR,DVD-RW. - http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

If you merely burn the downloaded file in the same manner that you burn your other disks, it will not work properly.

Louis

#13 jenidee

jenidee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for all that information. I did manage to unzip it, and I did manage to start the 'pooter. However, I next got a grand message telling me about:

0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF75DD0BF, 0xF7A29208, 0xF7A28F08)

pci. says - Address F75DD0BF base at F75D6000,

Date stamp 3b7d855c

I was then advised to ask my administrator! I'm afraid the above is quite beyond me. My course for the aged only covered simple things. I assumed the above were all zeros, and not capital Os?

Is there any hope at all?

jenidee

#14 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

it said windows setup and when i entered it said hal.dll error..

what do you mean when you say "entered" ?

I would suggest running a memory diagnostic from http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by lowtek_otc, 14 January 2009 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users