Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia PSI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TerenceM

TerenceM

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hi, I recently downloaded Secunia PSI from a link on BC.
As a result I was able to download some patches to exisitng programs on my PC,mostly Windows security updates and for Picasa 3.
The Secunia scanner also told me I have 12 other programs which need attention and recommended I use the Advanced Interface.

I am not 100% confident about using this feature and would appreciate any help in doing so.

Many thanks,

TerenceM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

I tried Secunia OSI for a while after reading about it in Brian Krebs' tech security column in The Washington Post on-line. He had recommended it in connection with Java and Java script vulnerabilities, since that software developer had a history of not developing software that patched or removed old snippets of Java, which then left users very vulnerable to infections. Worked very well. Then tried PSI free, which was beta. Not too happy with it. Secunia said it is no longer beta, so I am trying it again.

The program is much improved, especially with accessibility to the needed downloads, but still needs improvement in that area. What Secunia does not do is tell you that the reason why you need to remove more than one version of flash player or web start or whatever application is that you are using more than one browser, and you need to do patches/updates for each browser separately. I discovered that in my last batch of recommended updates, but I still have to finish them. Be sure to do the removal and update in pairs, even if it is still very time consuming.

I would go on-line or use various pc application magazines to research the suggested changes, also going to forums for the applications. I am not very good at that sort of thing, but I think it would be safe to say that Secunia is still working on getting some of its bugs out. the major plus about Secunia is that its philosophy is to head off infections before they happen by looking for existing weaknesses in programs and alerting you to them.

There are some other postings about Secunia on BC by very happy users who are much more computer savvy than I--maybe you could post a query there

#3 TerenceM

TerenceM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:05 AM

Thank you fuzzywuzzy6 :thumbsup:
I will go to the Secunia forum and and see what I can find out about the Advanced Mode.
I am quite new to computing and the complexities therein but I am working on getting myself more computer literate.
Perhaps I will get myself on one of those IT Home Study courses in the New year.

Cheers,

TerenceM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users