Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get a temporary email for downloading free stuff

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

This free service will provide you with a temporary address for 15 minutes. Helps to keep your real address to yourself, but still access free downloads.

http://www.guerrillamail.com/

Worth a look.
Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

Firefox users can install the my-spambox addon which makes getting temporary addresses even simpler (IMHO) through http://spambox.us

Addon at mozilla.org: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4343

#3 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:58 AM

that's good, but i think most of forums will ban all these services, so users would not be allowed to register with such email adresses. I even think that most of well-known forum engines will include that ban-list by default soon. With a kind of auto-updating list of domains. So, imho, cool idea, but will work for very limited period of time.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

Another option you can use is to add information to your actual e-mail address.

According to the e-mail address standards (RFC2822), you can add information to an e-mail address which is ignored by the mail delivery system. To do this, simply add the info after the account name and before the @ symbol using the + sign. Like this:

billybob+foobar@something.net

The actual address is billybob@foobar.net and will be delivered to that mailbox. The added info "foobar" is ignored by the mailer daemon. You can use this along with a custom filter to automatically redirect incoming mail to a specific folder or to delete it upon arrival.

Some e-mail providers (like Yahoo) don't support this aspect of the standard, however I know that GMail does.

Using Gmail, for example, I could set up a filter that said any mail sent to billybob+bleepingcomputer@gmail.com get sent to my Bleeping Computer folder. Or, should Grinler one day piss me off (unlikely, I think; he's too nice, and charming and hansom and smart and...) I could change the filter to automatically delete such messages without me ever seeing them.

The point of all that is so that you can sign up on a website and use an address like billybob+Spam@gmail.com and create a filter which moves all mail sent to billybob+spam@gmail to your spam folder.

Or, you can use the site's name instead to see whether that site is selling your address to spammers. If you start getting a lot of spam addressed to billybob+bleepingcomputer@gmail.com, then you'll know that Grinler has likely been replaced by an evil android who is selling user's information (I consider this to be a valid concern and urge Grinler to invest in some ant-evil-anrdoid spray.)

Of course there are websites which don't support this standard, just like some e-mail providers don't. Yet another argument on why standards-compliance is an important thing. Even so, it's a nifty trick to add to your arsenal.

#5 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:50 AM

Using Gmail, for example, I could set up a filter that said any mail sent to billybob+bleepingcomputer@gmail.com get sent to my Bleeping Computer folder.

How do you create folders in Gmail? Or you meen labels?

Edited by Konstantin, 24 December 2008 - 03:50 AM.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

How do you create folders in Gmail? Or you meen labels?

erm... yup. 'Labels' is what I meant. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users