Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone ever have this happen?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Keyboarder

Keyboarder

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:24 PM

Using XP Pro with SP2 installed.

Yesterday I was trying to use the 'Compatibility Wizard' for an old game that I wanted to install. Turns out I mistakenly used the 'Accessibility Wizard' instead, and after getting out of that process I have now been blessed with a new little gremlin to deal with.

Each time I exit Internet Explorer a box appears entitled;

'Formdata (box) 87: The parameter is incorrect' comes up.

This only occurs when I get off the internet (using Internet Explorer). I just click OK and it goes away until I get back on the net and then get off again that it re occurs. The box does not seem to have any real effects to anything?, and does not come up during, or after normal desktop activity, e.g.; I can use Outlook Express and nothing happens. I have a high speed ISP and I am not sure if that factor helps diagnose this issue.

I am not sure what has caused this. However, there could be a relationship to my having used the Accessibility Wizard? This is where one can change text size, large windows titles and menus, etc. I have tried going back into the Accessibility Wizard and trying different settings, but have not been able to get rid of the Formdata box.

I am not sure if there is some default settings that I can use to 'reset' the system so that this box does not appear after exiting Internet Explorer. My 'restore' option does not function correctly; another issue to reslove at a later date...

Any input will be appreciated as how to get rid of the;

'Formdata 87: The parameter is incorrect' box.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:33 PM

Try this: openIE, tools>internet options>accessibility and look at the formatting blocks. I have all 3 checked, but then I have my own style sheet installed.If you play with those settings it may help.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:39 PM

A note on system restore:It depends on what you are trying to restore. This may help:What's Restored and What's Not
Restored
Registry
Profiles (local only—roaming user profiles not impacted by restore)
COM+ DB
WFP.dll cache
WMI DB
IIS Metabase
Files with extensions listed in the <include> portion of the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK
Not Restored
DRM settings
SAM hives (does not restore passwords)
WPA settings (Windows authentication information is not restored)
Specific directories/files listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK
Any file with an extension not listed as <included> in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK
Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore (hklm->system->controlset001->control->backuprestore->filesnottobackup and keysnottorestore)
User-created data stored in the user profile
Contents of redirected folders
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#4 Keyboarder

Keyboarder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Gunner for your comments. I tried the internet options... accessiblity method (in multiple ways) and still encountered the 'Formdata 87: The parameter is incorrect' box when exiting Internet Explorer.

I was wondering if this could be associated with the SP2 that I recently installed...

This is an obvious Microshaft 'box', which I have never encountered before.

I am flirting with a 'reload', but I have a lot of files to save to dvd before doing it..

I will wait awhile more and see if others may have some suggestions also.

Once again, thank you for your inputs.

Re; Restore... I had some viruses and per Symantec I had to do a scan and then disable the restore option, restart into safe mode, delete the virus/s, do a restart, and then enable the restore option. In the past this had worked for me, but recently, after following Symantec instructions, it just says that it could not restore to the point that I had selected. I will investigate this issue after I find some sort of resolution of the Formdata box issue.

#5 Keyboarder

Keyboarder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

Well, after some further frustration, I decided to go through windows explorer folders/files and found a sub item to my Window Washer 5.0 program entitled 'formdata'.

Thinking that this may have some connection to the 'formdata 87: the parameter is incorrect' box issue I uninstalled the Window Washer program and then reinstalled it.

I got onto the net and went to some sites, and then exited IE and the formdata box did not appear.

Prior to installing XP SP2 this box never appeared... it may be possible that it did have an effect on the Window Washer program?

I hope that this resolves my 'issue'.

Thanks for having this forum to discuss issues, and for gunner's interest in trying to help me resolve the issue that I posted about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users