Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vid Conflict?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rattle2k

rattle2k

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

Windows xp pro sp2
Mobo - asus p5gd2 premium
Lga775 - prescott 3.2ghz
4 gigs 533 ddr2
160 gig raid 0
ATI HD4850
700w PSU
Water and air coloed

When in COD4, I suffer from terrible fps and split second lockups. As soon as I join frames drop to about 50 fps. I have everything set as low as it will go, and I am not overclocking at all. Nothing is overheating either. The more people standing around me, the worse it gets. The more smoke, fire, even wrose. This happens if I am in a full server or an empty one.

The only thing sharing the IRQ is the Microsoft UAA bus driver. If I disable it I lose all sound. I have tried changing drivers, disabling system functions, doing updates, running all stress tests and even bought new memory, and power supply. All tests have passed. All drivers give the same results. I also changed bios settings in an attempt to figure it out, but changed them back as it never made a difference.

This was never a problem before and I cant find the conflict. For a long time I was guessing that the UAA bus was conflicting with the video card. Sending sound and video information at the same time. I just reformatted and same results.

This is not a processor, Hard drive, memory, or video card issue. I used a x1900xtx before the hd4850 and the game played great. But then all the sudden, and I really can't pinpoint why, I started getting this problem. So I bought the hd4850. Any help would be insanely appreciated, I am about to put a fist into this thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

This may not be much help, but I'd first suggest uninstalling your video drivers, reboot, then use the Catalyst Removal Tool to remove all remnants of the drivers from your system, then reboot again.

Download the latest ATI drivers from the ATI website and install them, reboot, and test to see if that fixes it.

If not, search for older drivers that are compatible with that card and try them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rattle2k

rattle2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the reply

I have done that many times

The reson I now know it's not the video card, is that I got this problem with the ati x1900xtx, that's why I bought the HD4850

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

I don't think that this is an IRQ issue - as the IRQ's are dynamically allocated (so, if there's a conflict, it'll switch automatically)

I'd suggest watching the processes tab of Task Manager when you're lagging to see what's eating your resources. Video drivers are the most common reason for this - but since you've tried that already the problem must be elsewhere.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rattle2k

rattle2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Ok, I watched the processes, nothing out of the ordinary, except the game uses 85% of the cpu. The framerate doesn't always drop. It will be high for a few minutes, then dratically drop and lag, then go back to normal. I could not find I process that I could link to this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users