Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All USB ports disconnected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:37 PM

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3
my mouse is an optical wired one, connected to the PC through a rear USB port.
The PC was running with no major problems.
This morning I found that the mouse indicating arrow was frozen.
After restart, I connected the mouse to another USB port with no success. I used another mouse, the same.
The mouse light (red light under the mouse) is lighting.
I try to use a memory stick (Disc-on-key), the light on the stick is on, but the PC cannot
detect it (even through the Device manager).
Above attempts were performed using the forward and the rear usb ports.
The Bios is showing the USB ports as Enabled.
I connected an old mouse (with the ball) using the standard round connector. I could finally use the mouse

Please asking for your kind assistance. What have suddenly disconnected all the USB ports "Data" connection
(I am using the word 'Data" connection since the light on all the devices is on i.e. current is passing through)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

Microsoft recommends reinstalling the USB Controllers:

To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:
  • Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
  • Click the Hardware tab.
  • Click the Device Manager button.
  • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  • Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
  • Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
  • Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.
Try this and let us know!

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks Amazing Andrew for your prompt answer.
I uninstalled and reinstalled all USB controllers but the problem remains

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

I've recently seen 2 issues with USB ports that were perplexing - especially since one of them was my main system.
Turns out the little black plastic thing inside the USB port on the computer was broken off at one point - then another attempt to insert a USB device caused the pins to short out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

Work-around: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815106505

I believe in always having at least one spare mouse, keyboard, USB 2.0 PCI card, and ethernet card...saves an awful lot of unnecessary frustration :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

I expanded Universal Serial Bus controllers (on the Device Manager) and right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node,
clicked on Properties and got "This device is working properly" for every one

I restored my drive C to a previous stored state/date (backed Up ) when the USB ports were working.
The problem remain unsolved.

Is there anything else I can do beside 'changing my motherboard'?

thanks for assistance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users