Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes On Boot up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Belprince

Belprince

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hi Everyone,

I posted this on a windows news group and although I got good advice on getting ride of the virus and malware etc, I am still having the original problems of the computer freezes on startup. I bought the computer second hand and XP proffessional was already installed, so I don't have the disks.

I would be eternally grateful for any help , ta

I had some issues with malware and viruses and ran Norton Anti Virus, Super
Anti Spy and a program called Remove it, which someone suggested I use in
another newsgroup. I now think I have got ride of all my viruses and spyware,
however now when I restart my computer it freezes at the windows screen and
the blue status bar just keeps running and running. I can start the computer
in safe mode; hence this post, but I donít know how to resolve the problem of
the computer freezing on start up.

I would be grateful for any help on this matter.

Thanks a million in advance.

TA
JC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

Most commonly errors like this are due to issues with your hard drive or your video drivers (although, with the history of malware, it could be almost any drive).

It's encouraging that you can boot into Safe Mode - that makes fixing it fairly straightforward. But the hunt for the elusive driver may take some time.

First try, in Safe Mode, uninstalling your video driver. Once that's done, download the latest version from the website of the manufacturer of your video chipset (nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc). Install that and see if you can boot to normal mode.

If this is a brand name computer, you may be able to get recovery/restore disks from the manufacturer for free or for a small fee.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Since you have an open HiJackThis log, I'd have to ask that you not follow the above directions. Any changes made to your system can change the results of the HiJackThis log - and in some cases can even cause the malware to become more difficut to remove.

This topic is closed until the HiJackThis log has been closed. If you'd like to reopen this topic then, please PM a mod to have it reopened.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users