Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Corruption with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lmarconi

lmarconi

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Thinkpad T60 type 1951. My CD/DVD Drive was fine a month ago, so I'm not sure what's going on. Windows now says the driver is corrupt or missing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device and scanning for updates under device manager but neither of those things worked. I can't seem to find the driver for XP on Lenovo's site, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for.
I'd really appreciate your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

The driver is integrated with the motherboard drivers for your system.
Where do you get the corrupted driver message from? Can you post a copy of it here for us to look at?
Can you see the CD drive in Windows Explorer/My Computer?
If so, what happens when you try to access it (with a known good disk in the drive)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lmarconi

lmarconi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

When I go to Safely Remove Hardware, there is a yellow exclamation point next to the drive HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4246N.
When I go to properties for that drive under device status I receive this message:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

The advice under troubleshoot was to uninstall and reinstall the device. Windows detects the device and will reinstall it, but I still receive the same error message.

Under My Computer, the drive no longer shows up. When a good disc is placed into the drive, I hear the whirring sound the drive normally makes when it works, but nothing happens.

I tried looking for the driver download on the Lenovo website, but I could only find the CD/DVD Drive firmware for my model.

Again, as a poor college student, I'm extremely grateful for you help.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

If reinstalling your motherboard drivers doesn't fix it, then I'd have to suspect a bad drive.

Here's a link to the Intel Chipset Driver: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-62939
Here's a link to the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-70477
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users