Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Somebody please help me! Can't even start windows.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dferner

dferner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:23 PM

:thumbsup: I was just using windows (XP home edition) when my computer spontaneously restarted itself (it's done it a few times before, i thought it might be some kind of spyware), but this time it couldn't even start windows. Aarghh! Not in safe mode, not in "last known good configuration", nothing.

It said c:/windows/system32/config/system was corrupted or missing, and it told me to use the original windows CD and run the repair utility. I did that, but it kept kicking me back to the command prompt. Eventually, i copied the file c:/windows/repair/system to replace the "corrupted" one, and it seemed to help a bit. But i still can't load windows!

Now it gets to the windows logo, then goes to a low resolution screen with a plain blue background and a mouse cursor and pops up a message window saying LSASS.EXE "return value indicates incorrect password". What the...? I never set any passwords! This happens whether it's in safe mode, normal or whatever. Then, a few seconds later, it restarts the computer, and keeps doing this and restarting itself again and again.

Now if I run the windows boot CD and go to the setup thing, then press 'r' to go to the repair console, instead of saying the registry is missing or corrupted, it asks me for the administrator password. I NEVER set a password. What? I tried just pressing enter, then i tried "password", but no. So i still can't even load windows whatever i do.

Can somebody please, please tell me what is going on?

Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:14 PM

To be on the safe side I personally would re-install xp from scratch after asking setup to first delete the C partition. Then setup will give you the option to install xp on the 'unallocated space' which it will then create a new C partition for, then it will format it, then it will begin installing xp. Sounds daunting perhaps, but it's quite straightforward and you'll know exactly how to re-install next time. I suggest a full re-install to eradicate any viruses or other nasties which may currently be on C drive, and since you can't get into Windows I think it's the quickest way to restore it to a working PC again.

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:35 PM

To be on the safe side I personally would re-install xp from scratch after asking setup to first delete the C partition. Then setup will give you the option to install xp on the 'unallocated space' which it will then create a new C partition for, then it will format it, then it will begin installing xp. Sounds daunting perhaps, but it's quite straightforward and you'll know exactly how to re-install next time. I suggest a full re-install to eradicate any viruses or other nasties which may currently be on C drive, and since you can't get into Windows I think it's the quickest way to restore it to a working PC again.

That's what i had to do. The same thing happened to me a while ago. Windows would boot, but restart before the login screen would ever pop up. I tried everything, from booting in safe mode, debug mode, command prompt, you name it. I eventually just had to ghost it and start from scratch, losing all my files and whatnot.

Fortunately, i had Knoppix on a disc, so i was able to save some of my more important files. If you go with re-installing windows and cleaing the hard drive, i suggest making a boot disk of Knoppix to save any pics/vids/papers/config files you want.

#4 dferner

dferner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

Well, maybe you're right. I just called a computer repair guy who managed to get the data but said my hard drive was screwed. Then fitted a new one and charged me 90. Doh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users