Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Vista w/XP last step...Help Please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PCsavyguy

PCsavyguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

Hi everyone!
I am almost to the finish line trying to complete the dual booting process by intalling the Windows XP Home SP3 OS to my
current OS, which is Vista Ultimate SP1. But first, here is my system info:

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T2370 @1.73GHz 1.73 GHz.
Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB.
32-bit OS.

The XP installation process went smoothly. All the program files and system files are there(so I thought). The Vista is in C: drive and the XP is in E: drive, which I have created and formatted. Here comes the problem. I CAN NOT BOOT FROM THE XP Home Edition although at the booting screen, it allows me the OS booting option which are Windows Vista Ultimate and XP Home SP1. Vista boots with ease but the XP on the other hand, refuses to do so. The booting window pops up and begins the process but instantly shuts down and follows with this error at the Windows Boot Manager:

File: \NTLDR

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Fine. These are the steps I took trying to solve this error.

1. Copied the NTLDR and the NTDETECT files from the Vista root drive(C:\ntldr/NTDETECT) to XP root drive(E:\ntldr/NTDETECT).
2. Used the EasyBCD 1.7.2 application to add new entry(XP) at the booting.

Unfortunately, it did not solve this problem. I have no choice but to run Vista as of now. However, when I open up msconfig. Under the BOOT tab, there is only one OS available and that is the all mighty Vista. No XP. How can I add the installed XP OS to the BOOT list using the msconfig, if possible? Also, where can I locate the boot.ini file on my computer? I'm referring to the XP drive since Vista uses boot.mgr, I believe. It was suggested on the other forum that these three files(ntldr, ntdetect, and boot.ini) should be in the same root drives of both Vista & XP. However, I can not locate this file(boot.ini). Mind you, I have all the hidden system files opened. Can someone please help me out on how to boot from the XP OS?

Thank you for any help or input.

Edited by PCsavyguy, 16 December 2008 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:01 AM

Can you describe to us the exact steps that you took to install XP as a dual boot on your Vista system? Maybe a link to a procedure or something similar?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...uide.htm?page=6
If the Windows XP bootload corrupts during the install, performing a reinstall won’t fix it, nor will going into the XP Recovery Mode and attempting to repair the MBR.

Luckily, the install was up to the stage where all you need to do is be able to boot from the Windows XP partition, and the install will pick up from where it left off.

To achieve this, follow the procedure outlined on the page titled "Restoring Vista and Dualbooting" to restore the Vista bootloader.)

This allows the system to boot into Vista, and then you can use EasyBCD to create an XP boot entry and boot into that to continue on with XP's installation.

How are you able to use Ultimate with 1gig of ram? Are you using a flash drive to supplement? Just curious.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

Nice link buddy215! Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 PCsavyguy

PCsavyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Can you describe to us the exact steps that you took to install XP as a dual boot on your Vista system? Maybe a link to a procedure or something similar?

Sure:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_wi...screenshots.htm

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...uide.htm?page=6
If the Windows XP bootload corrupts during the install, performing a reinstall won’t fix it, nor will going into the XP Recovery Mode and attempting to repair the MBR.

Luckily, the install was up to the stage where all you need to do is be able to boot from the Windows XP partition, and the install will pick up from where it left off.

To achieve this, follow the procedure outlined on the page titled "Restoring Vista and Dualbooting" to restore the Vista bootloader.)

This allows the system to boot into Vista, and then you can use EasyBCD to create an XP boot entry and boot into that to continue on with XP's installation.

I followed the installation tutorial step by step and successfully booted into the XP OS automatically. Then I completed the Vista repair procedure to gain access in order to use the EasyBCD to add new entry at the Boot prompt. Another success. But now, when I select the XP option at the boot screen, it would just prompt the forementioned error which I described on my first post. As for your question regarding RAM, I'm not sure nor I have much knowledge of computer particularly RAM but when I clicked on the System icon in the Control Panel, all the OS system info are presented and I copied them. Is it too much or too little amount of RAM?

Edited by PCsavyguy, 16 December 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Have you tried the procedure at the link that buddy215 recommended?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

Most of what I have read says that Vista Ultimate needs 4 gigs of RAM to fully use all of the eye candy.
That is all that a 32 bit system will handle.

I have not done the Vista/XP dual booting, but I thought the site I linked to was very thorough in trouble shooting your
problem. Suggest you go back thru reading it. After a good night's sleep.:huh:

http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx
Use the crucial advisory memory tool in the link above. It is a good site to purchase from. Good Guarantee. Good Products.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

I went through this procedure not long ago. Had Vista on, created a new partition and installed XP.
Fixed the Vista boot loader with VistaBootPro. Won't boot XP. "ntldr missing or corrupt" error.

The step by step in this link should fix you up if you have have XP install CD with the repair console:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm#b

What happens is when you install XP from the CD it puts ntldr and ntdetect.com onto the root of drive C:\ no matter what partition you install XP into. When you fix up the Vista boot loader, it tries to boot XP from the partition you installed but ntldr and ntdetect.com aren't there. You just need to copy those 2 files to the root of the partition where you installed XP.

In the above procedure once you press R for repair console the key you press next may vary depending on which partition has XP but you should be able to figure it out.

After you copy those 2 files all should work as expected on the next boot.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users