Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows media player 11 xpsp2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:13 AM

I hope that someone can help. This version 11 has suddenly decided not to open and so I thought that I would back date to vers 10.
However when I go to add/remove it tells me to close Windows Media Player and so I can't even get to the first step b/c I can't figure out how to do that. I tried googling and could not find anything there.
I simply want to get back to vers 10.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

BTW...when I look in the add/remove programs there is simply a list of Windows Media Player 11 Runtime and Windows Media Player and nothing shown beside the entry. Don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be???

I am desperate to get the program working again ! :thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

Add/Remove Programs won't allow for removal of a program that is currently running, hence the advice to close the program.

To close any such program...just Control-Alt-Delete to bring up Task Manager, find the program features relating to WMP (on the Processes tab) which are reflected as running, then just...end each one. There may be more than one.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...e-they-running/

You can either look up the processes via Google (to be sure) or you can assume (as I do) that any process starting with WMP is related to Windows Media Player :thumbsup:.

Once you end those processes in Task Manager, you should be able to do the Add/Remove bit.

Louis

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

Thank you for the reply, I am a little nervous about doing removal of the processes but if I stick to "wmp" prefixes it sounds like everything should be OK. What I am wondering about is if this is the correct way to rid of Windows Media Player 11.
I did try googling and did read an article recommending not to remove it in an attempt to reinstall Windows Media Player 10 ?
The thread was a "Vista" discussion so its relevancy to my XPsp2 issue I took as not applicable.

I wondered if you had any experience removing Vers 11 and going back to Vers 10?

Again thank you for the comments as when it comes to this type of change I am a computer clutz but the "wmp" prefix sounds clear....I know that I would not venture into my Registry that is for certain !

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

BTW.. I did look in Processes and found the following:
wmplayer.exe
wmpnsfcg.exe
wpnetwk.exe

I take it that I should end all of these 3 processes ???? Then go to Add/Remove and rid of WMP 11 and go to the XP WMP 10 d/l site and install that version which is what I want and hope that it installs and will open up so that I can play my cds.
BTW I did try an "sfc" but nothing changed and so that is why I am at this point.

Edited by georgia, 16 December 2008 - 11:53 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

I've done it...just to assure myself that it could be done...and then I went back to WMP 11.

Yes, I would end those 3 processes you have listed...I've already verified that they each relate to WMP.

I had no issues just rolling back to the previous version.

Shutting down processes/applications via Task Manager...is only a temporary thing, the programs resume running on the next reboot (if they are still installed). Nothing to fear there...Task Manager is not the method for removing anything permanently, be it files or registry entries.

WMP is probably damaged, which is why it malfunctions at this moment.

Basic reference: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme.../11/readme.aspx

There's an extensive list of info on WMP situations, including the fact that it won't open, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=W...11+won%27t+open

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2008 - 11:54 AM.

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

I appreciate the comments and will give it a go.
Just wondered....with your experience, should I simply end the processes and remove WMP 11 and simply try to reinstall it?

I thought maybe this would be a better idea since I see that you are using vers 11. I edited my last a little while you were probably posting BTW.

Cheers ! :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Well...I guess that I don't really know what your specific problem with WMP is...and thus I cannot recommend a specific answer.

I will say that, in my experience...many problems can be solved simply by uninstalling/reinstalling a given program. While WMP is a part of Winodws, it is (for all intents and purposes) just another program being executed as a part of XP.

I tend to try the simplest stuff first, then move on if simple doesn't work :thumbsup:.

So, if I had a problem with WMP, I'd first look for a similar situation with a posted resolution...then I would move on to uninstalling/reverting/reinstalling...then I would have to consider either malware issues (I don't have those) or a repair install to correct it, depending on how vexed I happen to be and what I think is wrong.

Louis

#7 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

Thx again...just wondering now b/c I can't rid of wmplayer.exe ???
I went back to the CP for the heck of it and of course can't remove WMP 11 as the program is not closed?

Maybe I will try a reboot?

Is there a reason that the 'wmplayer.exe' is stubborn to remove as it sounds like yours is performing fine as far as removal goes.
BTW I have had the notebook checked for 'malware' and it is OK... just this WMP 11 issue.
Thank you for your wisdom....any other thoughts appreciated.

#8 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

Thank you, thank you and merci beaucoup !!!

After I did the reboot, the end processes worked (for the 2 except "wmpnetwork.exe ",I decided then to close my other programs and was also able to close WMP 11 and it did the auto rollback to WMP 10 and had me go through the steps to install WMP 10 and finished.
Put my CD's in and the sick 'puppy' works !!!
Thx to your great advice and Links provided !
Saved me a techie bill....not needed at Christmas.

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to respond !
Cheers to a great BC contributor !!! :thumbsup: :flowers:

(I noted the steps in my journal !!)

I thought that I should add this....there are none of the 3 entries listed in Processes that were there before and as well when I click on Add/Remove there is Windows Media Player Runtime 11 and Windows Media Connect ???
Just wondered if all of this is normal.
Windows Media Player 10 is running fine though!!!

Edited by georgia, 16 December 2008 - 01:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users