Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista / Ram

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarttiL

MarttiL

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:08 AM

Hi,

Can a 32-bit application such as CorelDraw address 4Gb of ram in a computer
with Windows Vista Home Premium?

Thank You,
Martti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:35 AM

No, 32bit applications have a 2GB address space under Windows, in other words, the application has 2GB of memory available to it. Some applications that have been specifically compiled to be able to use more than 2GB of memory can do so if Windows is run utilizing the "/3GB switch", in which situation Windows presents the application with 3GB address space. But Windows itself loses the 1GB difference, so is severely constricted and seldom makes the result very helpful.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

A bit more on memory. Each process has available to it a 4gB address space - this is not to be confused with your RAM.
The 4 gB address space may not be entirely used.

Without special switches, there's a 2 gB space for reserved for the kernel stuff and a 2 gB space reserved for the user stuff that's running in that process.

With the /PAE or the /3GB switch this means that 1 gB is for the kernel and 3 gB is for the user stuff. In addition to having a computer that's able to use this switch, you must also have an application that's aware of the switch - otherwise the switch does nothing for your memory.

All of this memory stuff is "virtual" - in that it doesn't have a fixed location in your memory. This method allows the computer to keep the most active virtual memory stuff in the RAM while relegating the rest of the virtual memory stuff to your pagefile (a file on your hard drive that simulates additional physical RAM). The Windows Memory Manager takes care of what goes where in the background - you won't see it's activity (directly) without special tools.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:08 AM

It looks like versions of CorelDraw subsequent to Ver 12 are compiled with the necessary Large Address awareness.

I also realized that when running a 32bit application under WOW64 on 64bit Windows, if the application has the Large Address Aware flag set in its image file it will be given access to 4GB address space. So by that means, CorelDraw x3 or later could access 4GB.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users