Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start Automatic updates, popups, virus, help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 helpmycomputerplease

helpmycomputerplease

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:42 AM

Hello,

I visited torrent sites and I may have 'caught' a virus because I am now getting popups and cannot start automatic updates :thumbsup: Please help! I have attached the OTScanIt log as did the author of a previous thread with similar issues that was resolved by OldTimer. Please help!

Thank you!

S

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a description of your problem, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

First,

Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to the desktop.
  • Double click GMER.exe and if you are asked if you want to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please allow it to do so.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan, please click on NO.
  • In the right panel you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following the following checkboxes:
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Now click on the Scan button and wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in ark.txt and save it to your desktop.
Please note that rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do not take actionon any of the files found in this log without my supervision

Next,

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results, click no to the Optional_Scan
  • Please save the DDS.txt and the Attach.txt file to your desktop. Then post the contents of the DDS.txt file as a reply to this topic, and in the same reply attach the Attach.txt and the Ark.txt, from the previous gmer run, to your reply. More information on how to attach a file can be found here.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

If I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will unfortunately need to close this topic. You are more than welcome to open a new topic if you continue to have problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users