Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could not scan * files inside [path][filename] due to extraction errors encountered by the Decomposer Engines" during a scan

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:10 AM

I have been having an issue with Symantec Leaving my logs full with scan Omissions 99% of which are compressed. After doing considerable research I find symantec gives a nice list of possabilities and things to look into. Personally none of these fixed my issue, but it may yours. If Anyone has any Ideas to add to Symantec's offical list of reasons for scan omissions please do.

---------------------------------------------
The following is From Symantec @ http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-s...002073015235648
Event ID 6
Solution:
This event is typically encountered when any of the following occurs:

You scan a compressed file that contains a password-protected file.
The decomposer engine cannot provide the password required to gain access to the file, so it will be omitted during a scan.
You scan files that have been locked for access by the operating system and access cannot be released to the scanner because the file is in use.
You scan files that are recursively compressed to a depth that is more than the scan engine is set to scan.
By default, the scan engine is set to scan a maximum depth of three levels (for example, a zip file contained within a zip file contained within another zip file).
You scan files with LH7 compression, which is not a supported format.
These compressed files commonly have an .lzh extension, and they are omitted by the scan.
You scan files that are in use by another user.
This is most commonly seen when you scan user directories and shared folders and a user has the document in question opened for editing.
You scan files that have file system permissions set to deny access.
Corruption exists in the virus definitions.
Archived files have the extension that is not set in "selected extensions" in Custom Scan.
This error may indicate that a file was encountered whose content resembles a MIME-encoded archive; see Decomposer Engine errors when performing AntiVirus scans of plain text files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users