Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blank device manager after installing/uninstalling SP3..pulling my hair out!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 haldox

haldox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

Installed SP3 back in September and after that my computer was having major problems and I was having absolutly no problems with my Compaq Presario with SP2 before this. I did a system restore back to before I installed SP3. It never came to my attention about device manager or networking until a few days ago when I was trying to connect my mp3 player. Computer is not recognizing my player but it does recognize my digital camera..so I am requesting support from the makers of my mp3 player. But no matter what I plug into my USB, I never have a connecting hardware icon. So I decided to check out my device manager and to my surprise its blank, no matter if I am in safe mode. Also my Network connections empty, but I am obviously getting through on my ISP. Opening My Computer is slow too. Audio and printer still works.

I have tried everything but messing with my registry. Somewhere I read about removing all keys beginning with $%&'()* and I searched in the registry for these and found quite a bit. But they were in a different place then where other people were finding it in their registry. Also something to do with Norton, but I didnt have Norton at the time of SP3 install. These are the only places the FIND function found any in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\EFR\$%&'()* all the way up to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\EFR\$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./0123$%&'()*+,-./01

I have also found some left over bits of Norton in the registry, which its been 2 years since I had Norton installed and when I used Nortons Removal tool, it said nothing to remove.

Do I need to delete all the keys in EFR? and also find anything in registry pertaining to Norton and delete them as well??

So I still have SP2, as I am a little skeptic to reinstall SP3.

Any help would be much appreciated. I just cannot figure this out at all. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

At the top of the column where the icon of the monitor is located there is a box, is there a + or a - in that box? If there is a +, click on it to expand the tree.

Edited by dc3, 16 December 2008 - 12:16 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 haldox

haldox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:21 PM

At the top of the column where the icon of the monitor is located there is a box, is there a + or a - in that box? If there is a +, click on it to expand the tree.

Sorry but I am unsure of where you are talking about. Computer Management??

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

Device Manager.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager,

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 haldox

haldox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

Yes, thats what I had meant about computer management.

I can find my device manager just fine, but its completely blank. :thumbsup:

I love my computer and its been soo good to me for the last 3 yrs!!

Everything that I have been reading up on about this particular problem is that Microsoft screwed something up when they first released SP3 and I trusted that I could just click , install SP3 and everything would be fine.

Still stumped over this and I dont like messing with my registry without someone guiding me on What exactly needs to be done LOL

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:21 AM

From what I see...you installed SP3, then did a "system restore"...and that's when your problems with Device Manager began.

FWIW, doing a system restore (using recovery/restore CDs/partition) is not the same as uninstalling SP3.

What model Presario are we talking about?

When you say that you did a system restore...are you talking about the Windows SR or one involving the use of Compaq recovery/restore CDs/partition?

What problems did you originally have...after installing SP3?

FWIW: Why is it that some users always claim that it's Microsoft's fault that a system developed problems, when the chances are pretty high that it's not MS at all that is to blame? I'd be interested in reading some of these links that you used as references in determining that you needed to uninstall SP3, considering that many of us had no problem at all installing SP3 on our systems.

Exactly when did you attempt this "system restore" operation (bearing in mind that it's now mid-December)?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2008 - 05:22 AM.

#7 haldox

haldox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

Yes, I did system restore in windows(I believe, been a while!), to the time right before I had installed SP3. Everything was going just fine with my Presario SR1350NX just before installing SP3. When I restarted the computer after install, It took forever to get up and running and I couldnt even get onto the Internet. I cant remember what else was weird, but I just know that after I did system restore , it went back to normal. I know that nothing else was just installed other than SP3 during the time that I did system restore. This was sometime in September, but in my System restore I can only look back to October.

Well I thought everything was normal, until last week when I needed to get into my device manager ..and it was empty. NO matter which way I try to get to Device manager..its empty. So I started doing a search to see if anyone else had this problem. I had found a few posts pertaining to blank device manager, and they were also complaining of not having any connection Icons in Network connections, my computer opening up slow, some didnt have sound or could use their printers. Which I do have 1 Icon and that is for dial-up. Been 3years since I've had dial-up, I've since then had DSL and now Cable. I have audio and printer.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums...af56ba2/#page:1
This was one forum discussing this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791/en-us
The above is a fix by Microsoft , but I dont have SP3 installed anymore so I havent installed this fix and I am still wary of reinstalling SP3 .

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1222896505?s
I have not tried this yet, like I posted, because it would require messing in the registry.

Thank you for your time

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Restore the Device Manager - #107 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 haldox

haldox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

Thank you Budapest for your reply. I will try this as soon as I get time. Right now I believe I might have something running on my computer(that is not supposed to be), not too sure yet, but I need to have it checked out. Someone was on my computer, who likes to just push buttons and something suspicious came up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users