Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program files folder opens up at startup:I Need a solution

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

I run windows xp home edition.When my computer starts up.
the Program files folder opens up and lists all the contents of my folder.
I have been cleared of malware etc. in the HJT forum.
Any suggestions please?

Also for a split second a small window that reads "dialog" on the top header will flash and go away.
Not really sure about that either.

Happy holidays
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:24 AM

Hi triggerhappy,

msconfig is a diagnostic feature of windows which allows you to narrow down what might be causing some things to happen at startup. For the small window with "dialog" in the header, I would suggest that you go to Start / Run and type in msconfig and then ok. (You will need to be in an administrator level account to do this.) In the box that opens up, check Diagnostic System Start and then click on the Startup tab. Leaving your antivirus and firewall activated, uncheck the other items and reboot. If the dialog box does not appear, then you can assume that it is something loading together with one of your startup programs. If so, go back into msconfig to the startup tab again and add in half the programs that you unchecked before and reboot. By rechecking all the tabs, you will be able to narrow down which program it might belong to.

If using msconfig did not get rid of the "dialog" window problem, go back into msconfig and check "Normal System Start". This will cause all those items you unchecked to be rechecked.

After you do the above, tell me if this took care of either, neither or both of the problems you mentioned.

Zllio

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

As Zllio has stated, MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting tool - so be sure to reset it to Normal startup when you're done troubleshooting.

To permanently fix those startup entries (and many more), use the free program "Autoruns" from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

something is not right.
It it coming back with an access denied error.Stating I need to be an administrator.
But my account is set up as such. It changes my selection to selective startup.
But when It rebooteed that files page was gone.
Now what?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

Are you getting access denied when you hit Apply after you make changes in msconfig?
If so, click OK in the access denied box. The box should close. Hit OK in msconfig, if you get another access denied message, once again click OK. You will be asked if you want to reboot now or exit without rebooting. Reboot your computer-the changes you made will "stick".

By chance, do you have an HP printer?
HP software and/or a driver update will cause the message you see.

#6 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

It was a program shortcut for adobe gamma,that was opening it up.
Thanks for the help.
Do you have any explanation as to why the access denied errors are happening?

#7 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

Are you getting access denied when you hit Apply after you make changes in msconfig?
If so, click OK in the access denied box. The box should close. Hit OK in msconfig, if you get another access denied message, once again click OK. You will be asked if you want to reboot now or exit without rebooting. Reboot your computer-the changes you made will "stick".

By chance, do you have an HP printer?
HP software and/or a driver update will cause the message you see.

yes It shows it after i hit apply and once again like you explained.
so it will still work,even though it is an error? go figure

and yes I have a hp printer. is there a way to fix this (error )

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_4531999_fix-access...rror-using.html

explains the issue. There is a simple fix but it involves tinkering with the registry. If you are uncomfortable editing the registry, do NOT attempt the fix. And if you do edit the registry entry, the fix might not work for you. I tried it and still get access denied. I've learned to live with it. As long as msconfig works, I'm happy.

edit to add:
(I have found another possible solution which also involves the registry, I'm about to try it and will post the results)

Result of other possible solution: Instead of entering 3 as listed in the link above concerning the registry edit enter 4.
This will disable the service. After I redid the edit with 4, the access denied message did NOT pop up when I used msconfig. Thank you THP, your post inspired me to finally find a solution to that annoying message and I found something that cured it.

*QE steps out of the way and turns it back over to those who are working with you on your original issue*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 December 2008 - 11:20 PM.

#9 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

it was my pleasure "QE"
I will give it a whirl,hopefully it will work for me as well!

This web site is awesome. I have found a lot of useful info here!
And people you dont even know,go out of their way to help you.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

That's what BC is all about-helping others. And sometimes we-the helpers-learn things as we search for solutions for others. I hope the fix works for you-let us know if it does.

#11 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

Queen_Evie,

Could you alternatively look for PML Driver HPZ12 using services.msc and disable it that way?

Triggerhappy,

Be sure to set your msconfig back to normal start-up mode.

#12 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Unfortunately,the file "PML Driver HPZ12", doesn't exist on my computer.
Is this a bad thing?

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

Zllio, if it's there you could possibly do it that way. I based my answer on what I found while researching the issue-everything I read suggested a registry edit.

THP, I don't think it's a bad thing not to have it. It just means that if the problem is not caused by HP, there is another reason why it's happening. My gut feeling is that it does have something to do with your HP printer, but at this point I have no clue why.
You did check the registry and it's not listed there?

#14 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

in the registry editor I typed in PML Driver HPZ12 with the find command.
It did find a few files,but I'm not sure where they were and I'm not comfortable with altering these.they are not where they are supposed to be.
I'm a registry virgin,if you catch my drift.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:51 AM

THP, I apologize for the delay in responding. Yesterday my son-in-law spent all day in the local emergency dept. I spent all day taking care of my 14 month old grandchild. Son-in-law was admitted to the hospital and had his gall bladder removed this afternoon. I've been bouncing from the house to the hospital and taking care of the baby.

Make sure you followed the correct path in regedit. If you don't see then obviously it isn't there.
Do try Zllio's suggestion-find out if it is listed in services.msc. However, I will tell you that after reading your post, I went to regedit and typed in PLM Driver HPZ12 using the Find Command and it did not find it for me. So if you didn't got go step-by-step through the instructions here: please do and see it's there. http://www.ehow.com/how_4531999_fix-access...rror-using.html

To Zllio-I did some more research-it is listed in services, but it was disabled. And it would not allow me to change it to automatic or manual. I got a notice that says
Unable to open service PLM Driver HPZ12 for writing on local computer.
Error 5: Access is denied.

To test something, I went to my husband's Compaq, which has the same HP 3 in 1 I have on my system. His also goes through the Access Denied dance when using msconfig. Used services.msc and found it there. Still no joy-same error above when I attempted to disable it in services.
It seems the only way to get rid of the message is to do a registry edit and inputting the number 4.

THP, it seems that you can follow the instructions in my first post, and the changes to msconfig will be made. Since you are not comfortable dealing with the registry, you will have to live with it.
I think it's time you put this issue to rest for now, and get back to what you originally asked and follow the instructions given by Zllio and Usama.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 December 2008 - 01:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users