Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changes in MSCONFIG: Comp wont start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 suvarghyadutta

suvarghyadutta

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

Hi,

There was some problem in booting in safe mode. I read somewhere that one optin to try wud be by changing the MSCONFIG screen. So i went to start-run-msconfig and once the screen opened, I selected "selective startup" in the General Tab, and also i clicked the checkbox in "/safeboot" in the "BOOT.INI" tab.

The system went into the reboot mode and then it just wont start at all. It wont start in the normal mode and neither would it start in the Safe mode.

Can someone please tell me what to do now?

Also, is it normal to see the names of the boot devices in the BIOS set up within parentheses ie within two symbols like "[device name]"?

Please help.

Suvarghya

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:18 AM

Hi suvarghyadutta,

Within the boot.ini file, it is normal to see the names of some things in brackets. Within the Bios itself, which you arrive at by hitting the Del key shortly after starting up your computer, it is not normal for anything to be in brackets.

Can you use your cd to do a repair install? http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

If the computer does not automatically boot up from cd, you may have to change the boot sequence in the bios so that it boots first from cd.

Zllio

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:04 AM

There are two things that I would before doing a repair installation, first try doing a System Restore.

Start the computer and then press the F8 key when Windows begins to start. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

Use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

If a boot menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER. Windows XP restores the computer to the most recent restore point.

If this isn't possible use the startup to use the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users