Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan virus help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmcfad

jmcfad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

I was trying to activate a new home wireless network on my sony Vaio laptop. I was having trouble and was working with the Linksys tech help, and they advised me to turn off my firewall and micro trend virus protection. I was finally able to connect to the wireless network, but I forgot to turn my protection features back on. I was surfing the net for about an hour, and shut down. Later when I tried to turn on my computer again, it wouldn't start up. It tried, I got the sony logo, and the windows XP logo, and then I get a black screen with error message stating that windows couldn't open, with the options to start normally, revert to last good system restore, or to open in safe mode or safe mode with networking. I tried to start normally, I tried to revert back to a previous date, and neither worked. Opening in safe mode is the only option that works. In safe mode though, I cannot connect to internet, and my trend micro virus is unable to scan. I was able to download a spybot application using another computer onto a thumb drive, and ran it on my laptop in safe mode. It found 11 infected files, including 2 trojans, I proceeded to fix the problems, and immunize the files. It said everything was fixed. I tried to restart, and I am right back where I started. Computer is about 2 years old, and runs windows xp. The files that spybot found the second time are:
Win32.tdss.rtk (5 entries TrojanC.)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TDSS\VERSIONS
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TDSSnmxh.log
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TDSSoiqh.log
C:\WINDOWs\system32\TDSSrhym.log
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TDSS

Any input would be appreciated.

THanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

See if you can transfer these 2 applications onto the infected PC,SDFix and MBam. If so run them and post back the scan log.
Sometimes the malware will prevent the cleaning tools from running. Try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

Can you run Safe Mode with networking?

SDFix
Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

MBam
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jmcfad

jmcfad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:27 AM

Thanks so much, I was able to run both applications successfully. I think there still might be a problem, but not to the extent as before. I can't update my trend micro virus - everytime I attempt to, I get a pop up window saying I need to register my copy, when I try to register, I get an error message that my internet connection is unstable, try again later. I am pasting the logs that I received below.

SDFix: Version 1.240
Run by Administrator on Wed 12/17/2008 at 12:01 AM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Rootkit Found :
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSypaa.sys - Rootkit.Win32.Agent.cku

Name :
tdssserv

Path :
\systemroot\system32\drivers\TDSSypaa.sys

tdssserv - Deleted

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\av.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSypaa.sys - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSmcfp.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSmrxw.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSjont.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSuxrr.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSdcce.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSkhfp.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSofxh.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSosvd.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSnrsr.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSriqp.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSaolf.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSpaxt.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSnmxh.log - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSoiqh.log - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSrhym.log - Deleted

Could Not Remove C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSoiqh.dll

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-12-17 00:13:03
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

disk error: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system, 0
scanning hidden registry entries ...

disk error: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software, 0
disk error: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\ntuser.dat, 0
scanning hidden files ...

disk error: C:\WINDOWS\

please note that you need administrator rights to perform deep scan

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DISCover.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DISCover.exe:*:Enabled:DISCover Drop & Play System"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DiscStreamHub.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\DiscStreamHub.exe:*:Enabled:DISCover Stream Hub"
"C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\myFTP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DISC\\myFTP.exe:*:Enabled:DISCover FTP"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2006\\32bit\\ttax.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2006\\32bit\\ttax.exe:LocalSubNet:Enabled:TurboTax"
"C:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2006\\32bit\\updatemgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2006\\32bit\\updatemgr.exe:LocalSubNet:Enabled:TurboTax Update Manager"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe:*:Enabled:hpqtra08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe:*:Enabled:hpqste08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe:*:Enabled:hpofxm08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe:*:Enabled:hposfx08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe:*:Enabled:hposid01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe:*:Enabled:hpqscnvw.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe:*:Enabled:hpqkygrp.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe:*:Enabled:hpqcopy.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe:*:Enabled:hpfccopy.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe:*:Enabled:hpzwiz01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe:*:Enabled:hpqphunl.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe:*:Enabled:hpqdia.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe:*:Enabled:hpoews01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\DietPower 4.0\\Diet.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\DietPower 4.0\\Diet.exe:*:Enabled:DietPower"
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Sony\\Click to DVD 2\\CtoDvd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Sony\\Click to DVD 2\\CtoDvd.exe:*:Enabled:Click to DVD"
"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe:*:Enabled:iTunes"
"C:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2007\\32bit\\ttax.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2007\\32bit\\ttax.exe:LocalSubNet:Enabled:TurboTax"
"C:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2007\\32bit\\updatemgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2007\\32bit\\updatemgr.exe:LocalSubNet:Enabled:TurboTax Update Manager"
"C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe:*:Enabled:ęTorrent"
"C:\\Program Files\\AT&T\\Communication Manager\\SwiApiMux.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AT&T\\Communication Manager\\SwiApiMux.exe:*:Enabled:SwiApiMux"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"

Remaining Files :

C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSoiqh.dll Found

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Mon 7 Jul 2008 1,429,840 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 4,891,472 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 2,156,368 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe"
Wed 22 Oct 2008 949,072 A.SHR --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll"
Mon 15 Sep 2008 1,562,960 A.SHR --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll"
Tue 16 Sep 2008 1,833,296 A.SHR --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe"
Wed 22 Oct 2008 962,896 A.SHR --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Tools.dll"
Mon 13 Nov 2006 319,456 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motorola Shared\MotPCSDrivers\difxapi.dll"

Finished!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1456
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/17/2008 12:39:23 AM
mbam-log-2008-12-17 (00-39-23).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 57373
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSoiqh.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSpqxt.sys (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

Well you have a very serious infection.

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor or rootkit trojan.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSoiqh.dll
This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jmcfad

jmcfad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

That is very scary. I changed my bank password, and I removed all documents with sensitive information to a back up external drive. I have rerun all the spyware detectors, and everything is coming up clean. I also purchased and ran IOLO system mechanic professional, which includes a firewall and virus protection. Are you familiar with the Iolo products? It was actually the only product of it's kind in the store, in the small town area where I live. I haven't decided what to do after that. Thanks again for your help and advice.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

Sorry I was the bearer. I also had this infernal thing before.. While you consider what you want to do you can run this, A scan only..

Please download SmitfraudFix

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users