Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

router/networking problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 devils548

devils548

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

hey everyone, i hope someone can help me because i've been very frustrated for the past few weeks. my internet has been working sporadically at best with my router. when i connect the internet straight to the computer without the router, everything works fine, however with the router everything disconnects and reconnects every few minutes and it gets very annoying. i tried getting a brand new router however the new router did not even recognize a connection to the internet so i am very confused here, maybe my settings are not correct or something? i have no idea..help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

Hi Mate,

Welcome to BC. Can you please explain the situation more clearly.

my internet has been working sporadically at best with my router.

. How long back was this. Did you made any changes to the router.

when i connect the internet straight to the computer without the router, everything works fine,

What you mean directly.

however with the router everything disconnects and reconnects every few minutes and it gets very annoying.

Can you please explain the router make and model so that we can do some tests. As the connection keeps dropping I guess thats a channel issue.

i tried getting a brand new router however the new router did not even recognize a connection to the internet so i am very confused here, maybe my settings are not correct or something?

What is the error you are getting.

Thanks.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 devils548

devils548
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

hey sorry about that, kinda a noob at things like this =p any help is GREATLY appreciated thanks for taking interest in my post..so anyway
it's been like this for a good two weeks now, and when i mean directly i mean the ethernet cord directly from the modem to the computer , not connected to any router.
the router is a linksys wireless b broadband router..more specifically model no. befw11s4 ver. 4
..this is the part that confuses me.. on my old router it says that the network adapter cannot be found, and on the new router when i try to connect everything, it tells me that the router cannot connect because the ethernet cord is not found..however it is plugged in and i even tried a different ethernet cord so i know the first cord wasnt defected

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Hello devils548,

Try the very simplest possible fix first -- see the following post here at Bleeping Computer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=618977

#5 devils548

devils548
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

didn't work =[

#6 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for a detail explaination mate.

router cannot connect because the ethernet cord is not found..however it is plugged in and i even tried a different ethernet cord so i know the first cord wasnt defected

As far as I know router cant give that kind of error. After you connect the network cable(ethernet cable) directly from router to your computer, can you please check Ip address of the computer.

start-->run--> type "cmd" without quotes
you will get a black screen with C:\documents and settings:\ > ( C drive refers to windows drive, it may defer in your case depending on which drive windows is loaded)
Type ipconfig after C:\documents and settings:\ >.
You should get Ip address : 192.168.1. X ( X refers to any number from 2-254)

If it is something starting from 169.254.X.X then its not correct.

and subnet mask and default gateway address: 192.168.1.1 ( default linksys router address)

my old router it says that the network adapter cannot be found,

When you get this error did you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter.
- Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.
Find the network adapter and then ethernet connection adapter, right click on it and then select uninstall.

Again now right click the network adapters select scan for hardware changes and it will reinstall the network again.

Cheers

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#7 devils548

devils548
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

v

Edited by devils548, 17 December 2008 - 06:31 PM.

#8 devils548

devils548
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

ip adress: 192.168.1.101
subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
and the defualt gateway is what you have listed

i found my ethernet connection realtek rtl.. etc etc
i uninstalled it and scanned for hardware changes as you told me to
let me test out how the internet is working and i will post back in a few minutes with an update

#9 devils548

devils548
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

same thing guys =/ still not working well

#10 devils548

devils548
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

i was just snooping around and i made an interesting discovery..well atleast i think so i dont know if this has anything to do with the problem but i went to the router's configuration (typed in http://192.168.1.1/RouterStatus.htm in my web browser) and the i checked the status and this is what came up ::

Firmware Version: 1.50.10, Jan 16 2004
MAC Address: 00-11-D8-B7-B5-D2

Internet

Configuration Type
Login Type: DHCP
Internet IP Address: 68.46.140.16
Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway: 68.46.140.1
DNS 1: 68.87.64.146
DNS 2: 68.87.75.194
DNS 3: 68.87.71.226

i noticed that the internet ip, the subnet mask, and the default gateway is different from what comes up when i run an ipconfig
does that have anything to do with the problem?
please let me know, thanks

#11 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:35 AM

Login Type: DHCP
Internet IP Address: 68.46.140.16
DNS 1: 68.87.64.146
DNS 2: 68.87.75.194
DNS 3: 68.87.71.226

Good work my friend.
:thumbsup: The above shown configuration are your external configuration details means to the outside world of internet. The details which you got from your computer was the internal that is within your home network. Anyways those has nothing to do with your problem.

I will come back with other options or else lets wait if someone adds something.

#12 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hi mate.

Lets start doing first start again.

Are you using your new router which was saying that Network cable is not working.

Anyways plug your computer directly using a cable from MODEM to your computer and see if the internet is working. Also please tell me whether your are using Internet explorer or Firefox.

Now plug in the router and Tell me if you get any error as soon connect Router or not. Then check the ip address with the previous described process.

After that can you also try this.
start--run--cmd. In the command after C:\documentsandsetting\> type ping google.com and see if you get reply or any message.

If you get reply from the google server it means that your browser is problem.

Also is your internet working for a while and getting disconnected again with your new one. The previous configuration which you gave was from which one, everything is good with that one.

Cheers.

#13 devils548

devils548
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

hey, no i am using the old router, i have already returned that new router back to the store

so after i plugged the cable from the modem to my computer..my internet does work..i am using firefox .. however i have just been using it for a couple of minutes testing it out and i noticed that its still disconnecting me .. so i am now thinking there is something up with the modem that keeps kicking me off and not allowing me to fully connect to the router..the stats are::
IP Address: 68.46.140.16

after i plug everything through the router into the computer the stats change to::
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

...i didnt get any error once i connect the router, however when i try to install the router with thecd it does not work and tells me:: no wireless network adapter found. make sure your internal wireless adapter is enabled, or that your external wireless adapter is plugged in and installed

when i did the ping google it gave me:

pinging google.com [74.125.45.100] w/ 32 bytes of data:
reply from 74.125.45.100: Bytes= 32 time = 35 ms TTL = 236
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 74.125.45.100:
packets: sent = 4, received = 1, lost = 3 (75% loss), approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: minimum = 35 ms, maximum = 35 ms, average = 35 ms

oh and the previous configuration was from my old router...figures..comcast telling me its a problem with my router and that everything else is okay lol

#14 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

Good work again :thumbsup:

i have already returned that new router back to the store

Why didnt you the keep new one instead when they are giving it for free.

...i didnt get any error once i connect the router, however when i try to install the router with thecd it does not work and tells me:: no wireless network adapter found. make sure your internal wireless adapter is enabled, or that your external wireless adapter is plugged in and installed

If your are not getting any error. Can you please tell what your trying with cd. Also is your computer desktop or laptop. Also please check the router configuration pages to see is some firewall enabled as the traffic is coming for outside world into MODEM and sent ROUTER but the ROUTER is stopping from coming to your computer.

If your computer is laptop connect it directly to router with cable and see if drops after certain time again. Later we can deal with wireless.

If all these doesnt work LATER I would suggest reset the ROUTER to factory default settings and give a try.

Cheers.

Edited by sreez, 20 December 2008 - 09:26 AM.

#15 devils548

devils548
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

they weren't giving it for free lol
but anyway, with the cd i am doing the "go wireless" feature which says wirelessly connect this computer to your network
my computer is a desktop ... i went to the router configuration and under securty i found this:: Block Anonymous Internet Requests:Enabled
Filter Multicast:Disabled
Filter Internet NAT Redirection: Disabled

i know i have a firewall on my computer however that never gave me any problems before AND when i turn the firewall off the internet still acts the same

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users