Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless network not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnfed

johnfed

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

I heard you have to have the desktop on to network with the laptop on a wireless network. I can get the files from my desktop when it is turned on, but as soon as the desktop goes into hibernation, I lose my network. Is that normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TxTazDad

TxTazDad

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

yes, when it goes into hibernation, the network card gets turned off, if this is happening it sounds like you are using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) for your laptop thru the desktop.

Edited by TxTazDad, 17 December 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#3 johnfed

johnfed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Thank for answering my question.. How can I tell if I am using ICS to connect and how do you connect some other way so I would not have to have my desktop on to be on the network with my laptop. Thank you

#4 TxTazDad

TxTazDad

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

what all do you have in place equipment wise in your network, wired, wireless, router, switch? I'm guessing DSL or cable for your ISP?

#5 johnfed

johnfed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for getting back to me . I should have had all the information on my first request.

I have a wireless network
DSL with modem
desktop is compaq presario media center running windows XP
laptop v6000 series running VISTA home premium
router is Linksys WRT54G2
I have a lexmark wireless printer z2400 series on the network

if need any other info, let me know

Thanks again.
Johnfed

#6 TxTazDad

TxTazDad

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

Then the laptop really shouldn't be losing internet, did you manually configure the laptop to connect to you router? Sounds like it is going thru your desktop. Check your laptop wireless connection properties & see what\how it is connected to the network. Also make sure ICS is turned off on the desktop (check that by looking at the desktop's network properties) Is the desktop hardwired or wireless?

#7 johnfed

johnfed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

I am not losing the internet on my laptop when desktop hibernates, I only lose the ability to share, access, or see files on my desktop while on the laptop.

What are laptop connection properties? I think I am connected to the internet thru my router.
How do you turn off the ICS on the desktop? the desktop,s presario C: doesn't say anything about ICS.

The desktop is hardwired

#8 TxTazDad

TxTazDad

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

then basically all you need to do is turn off hibernation on the desktop, control panel\power options, hibernate tab, uncheck enable hibernation.

Sorry for not understanding your "exact" problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users