Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hhcutie

hhcutie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:02 AM

Hi there....ive recently reformatted my computer and while formatting my internal hard drive i think i deleted a partition on my external one which had all my backed up files for the past 5 years.....Now i cant seem to access it tho is shows up on the device manager as working fine....there is no shortcut in my comuter to the ext hard drive.....please someone help .....is thee a way of getting it working and retrieving my VERY important files???
THANK YOU :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:54 AM

I don't know how you could have deleted anything on the external by formatting the internal. I can think of a couple of solutions:\

Is it USB or Firewire? Make sure that the devices have drivers loaded and are functional in the Device Manager. (Windows Key and the Pause/Break key at the same time should get you there.)

Which operating system do you have? 2000 and XP do not need drivers, but other operating systems do need drivers. There should be a disk that came with the external drive.

#3 hhcutie

hhcutie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

While i was formatting i was giving the option to delete patritions....i wasnt sure what to do ...that where i think i deleted a partition on my external one by mistake...i dont know what this does and why its stopped my hard drive working.....my hard drive is usb and i run xp pro....that why i cant understand why its not picking it up.....

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:51 PM

I can't understand it, either, since even with the partition removed, the operating system should be able to see the drive.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management and click on Disk Management, and see if you can spot it in there. It's a sad story, but if you deleted that partition, your data is probably not recoverable. If you see nothing in Disk Management, there's still a chance that your system just isn't seeing the drive for some reason. (Is the power plugged into it?) It probably would have been safer for you to have disconnected the drive while you were installing Windows, though I don't think that's much help now. Sorry.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

Can you give us some information on your computer? Is this a branded one, like a Dell or HP, or perhaps a laptop? The more info you can provide the better.

Can you connect your external drive to another computer?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users