Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to computer building

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cfasthuber

cfasthuber

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

I've had a chat with a very computer savy buddy and he says that the best place to start building from is the motherboard. I understand that this piece is the hub for the enite computer so it makes sense that I start here. I've been browsing websites like www.newegg.ca and half of the things that show up there are totally over my head, so i guess that the best i can do is let you more experienced folks know what i want to accomplish and then maybe you could recommend parts that would be useful.

Simply put im a gamer and i wanna up everything i have, and if its possible if you must get technical
please fr the sake of my poor brain any laymens terms would be awesome. I'll learn it all sooner or later.

The main site that i use to find parts is newegg.ca if there are any other Canadian websites that you guys can
refer me to for price hunting would be great :D

i am considering startin out my rig with this motherboard ASUSM3N-HT Deluxe but my concern is that it may not work with this Quad Core or if the mother board can even support more than one graphics card. Nor can i guess how much power those two parts alone might need.

Edited by cfasthuber, 15 December 2008 - 07:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

That board will support, that processor.
The board comes with on-board video, which wouldn't be sufficient for running the newer games.
It also has 3 PCI Express x16 slots, where your video cards will plug in.
If you run 2 cards, they'll run at x16, but if you decide to run 3, they'll only run at x8 each.
You would just disable the on-board video, and run off of your card/s.

With that processor, and board, you'll be able to run a maximum of 8 GB of DDR2 1066.
In order to make use of anything over 3.5 GB of RAM, you'll need to install a 64-bit Operating System.
For RAM, anything here would work:
DDR2 1066 High Performance/Gaming 4GB(2x2GB)
These would populate 2, of the 4 available slots, giving you 4 GB.
If you want to go with the full 8 GB (the more RAM the better), buy 2 of whatever kit you decide on.

How much storage space (harddrives) are you wanting.
I'd recommend 2 x 250 GB SATA drives, minimum.
I'm partial to Seagate, but Western Digital also makes some good drives.

For optical drives, either LG, or Samsung, makes good drives.
I'd get 2, but I believe in redundency. :thumbsup:

The amount of power supply you'll need, will mostly depend on the type, and number of video cards, you decide on.
Since I'm not a gamer, I'll let some of those who are, give you some recommendations on those.
I can tell you the board supports SLI, so if you decide to run multiple cards in SLI mode, you'll need to go with nVidia cards.

A list of the games you want to play, would help them with their recommendations.

Edited by tg1911, 16 December 2008 - 12:03 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

I agree with what tg1911 said. That motherboard will easily handle that processor. If you're willing to wait until early January, AMD will release a new line of Phenom processors called the Phenom II. Prices should drop then. Also, the black edition processor you chose does not come with a heatsink so you have to purchase one on your own. The XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler is a good choice, it keeps things cool and quiet. However, you should only use it with a full ATX tower case. A full tower is large and heavy, but will have more space to accommodate large graphics cards and components. A good choice, if you're on a budget, is the Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU. If you have more money to spend, the COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP is a good choice for a sturdy and elegant case. What is your budget? A gaming PC can quickly become expensive. One big hassle with building PC's in Canada is the prices. For instance, the HD 4870 X2, one of the top-of-the-line graphics cards is about $490 in the U.S., in Canada it is about $600. It will be difficult getting a long-lasting gaming PC in Canada for under $1000, at least one with quality parts.

Edited by DJBPace07, 16 December 2008 - 02:24 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users