Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacked Browser

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ross_Mc

Ross_Mc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hi there! :thumbsup:

First time poster, got a problem and i was told that this is the best place for computer advice!!

Anyway, the problem is: everytime i type www.google.com or www.google.co.uk into internet explorer, i am redirected to a webpage pretenting to be from Microsoft Security Centre. The website claims that "my computer is infected and i should download their anti-virus" i know this is a fake and i have NOT downloaded the software.

I have tried different methods of removing the unwanted spyware/malware/virus (to be honest a dont know what it is :flowers: ) i searched online (with another search engine and not google) and i stumbled across www.majorgeeks.com i found a topic on malware/spyware removal http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313 i followed all instructions until i was asked to run combofix.exe where i was redirected here.....

so i have tried several different anti-spyware software packages running full system scans with no result! I am worried about entering credit card details online or any personal information due to this problem.

I would really appreciate any help guys as i have spent the best part of 2 days trying to remove the problem!

Thanks, Ross

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:00 PM

If you ran Malwarebytes please post the log.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Ross_Mc

Ross_Mc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

If you ran Malwarebytes please post the log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1501
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

15/12/2008 17:25:56
mbam-log-2008-12-15 (17-25-56).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 66412
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

Try this scan:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Ross_Mc

Ross_Mc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

Try this scan:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

Scan worked a treat, thanks very much for ur help! the problem was really starting to annoy me!

:thumbsup:

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

If you’re clean, you should create a new Restore Point to prevent possible re-infection from an old one.

Go Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click System Restore. Choose the radio button marked Create a Restore Point on the first screen then click Next. Give the Restore Point a name and then click Create. Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point. Go Start > Run and type: "Cleanmgr" (without the quotes). Click Ok > More Options tab > Clean Up in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Also, go Start > Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs. Post back and report any Java entries that you have.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Ross_Mc

Ross_Mc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Created a system restore point like you said, i only have one java entry and it is : Java™ 6 Update 7 there dosnt appear to be any other entries.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

That Java is out of date. You should remove it and download the latest:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Ross_Mc

Ross_Mc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

removed the old java and installed the update!

i still have the anti-spyware/malware software on my computer recommended by www.majorgeeks.com the software is:

super anti-spyware
spybot search and destroy
malware bytes anti-malware
ccleaner

should i keep any of these? or should i uninstall them?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

They're all good and you could run them from time to time.

CCleaner is not really an anti-malware application. It just cleans out temp files, browser history, cookies and the like. I would stay away from the registry cleaner function in CCleaner.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users