Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't open any programs that require an internet connection.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dands78

dands78

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hello everyone,

I am extremely frustrated at this point, so any help would be extremely appreciated. I'm no computer genius, so please be patient with me. The problem I am having all started when I opened a virus on Facebook. It was sent from a friend in the form of a video, however it wasn't sent by him and when I opened it it said I needed to upgrade my flash, which I did, and hence the virus. Upon finding out this was a virus I went online and tried downloading some antivirus software(I had AVG installed, but after performing a complete scan it never picked up on it) anyways, I googled free antivirus scan and tried one of the programs which (dont remember which one) but this opened up a whole new can of worms. When I performed the scan it found some viruses but unless I paid for the software it wouldnt allow me to fix it. So I tried removing this software from my computer and then whenever I went to google a different antivirus software, a popup kept popping up for different types of antivirus software.. I finally was able to get AVIRA installed on my laptop and successfully scanned and removed 14 viruses, I also ran EUSING registry cleaner in safe mode. Now when I start my computer normally, 1.) I cant use any programs which require the internet to work (even though my wireless is connected and working) for example, when I try opening internet explorer, the window opens up and it says connecting, but it just freezes up with a blank screen. Also my Yahoo IM wont connect, or I cant update my antivirus software or anything requiring internet, even though my wireless appears to be connected and working. 2.) I cant restart or shut off my computer from the start menu (I have to literally hold down the power switch to power down) Any ideas about what this could be? I am about to lose it! THANKS FOR ANY HELP in adavnce!
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

You may still be infected and you should post in Am I Infected to get expert help.

#3 Barbaramay

Barbaramay

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hi There
I am new to this forum, but I would like to offer some advise. Have you tried a system restore, go back to when your computer was running smoothly.
Cheers
Barbarmay

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:40 AM

Before doing a system restore I would download Dr.Web.It is a virus scanner that does not install on your computer.You just run it and let it fix anything it finds,When you close it the programme goes and leaves a log behind.Also check your computer with good anti spyware like mbam etc.Hope you get it sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users