Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Over heating CPU?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hi all,
I would like some advice. I run a Intel core daul 8500 I have no problems with over heating errors but I did notice something that may be a concern.
In the bios it shows the CPU temp as running between 33C and 40C. But when i run SIW or Speed fan results it shows two CPU temps:

As you can see the temputures on the top are normal but below that they are running at 70C Is this a concern or nothing to worry about?
I have updated the bios, all fans a running ok, no dust ect. Well ventilated area.

Attached Files

• Attached File  temp.jpg   165.02KB   27 downloads

Edited by Monty007, 15 December 2008 - 04:23 PM.

MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

If you don't notice any problems, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My processor (a Core 2 Duo E4400) use to get up around 70C while under loads, and once I overclocked it too far, I got it up to 80C! This caused the system to have frequent lock ups, and eventually BSOD's.

Also, you can't be sure of how accurate the program and the cpu/motherboard sensors are.

If you do want to reduce temperatures, it is a good idea to get some arctic silver 5 thermal compound. If you're using the thermal paste that came with the cpu, it's usually not very good.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

Hi Sterling, thanks for the advice. The other PC also runs Intel, 5500 daul core but only sits at 34C so I was a bit concerned. I agree if no problems don't worry to much. My system is stock no over clocking.
MCP
MSDST

#4 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:07 PM

Hi, can someone tell me why the CPU temps read two different readings? As I stated the bios shows the first line, why is the second line reading 70C?
MCP
MSDST

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

I think the top temperature, the cooler one, is for the whole processor. This may be more of the outside of the processor too. The core's of course, are the two cores inside the processor, which are going to run hotter than the whole processor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

No worries thanks Sterling.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic