Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to web design/not new to computers...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arguiled

arguiled

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hey, all...so over the years I paid little to no attention to anything about the web design/coding world...I spent my time learning Adobe programs, so...can anyone suggest a place that offers shortcuts to creating nice, sharp, interactive or personable websites, without all of the generic technical stuff? I have the Adobe CS3 Master Edition, so what would be the best programs to use, and for what? (i.e. A restaurant homepage with a printable menu in .PDF, or an "artists/illustrators" site with an interactive gallery and video clips...Iam just looking for basic info, I can research more myself once someone is nice enough to steer me the right direction...thanks ahead of time for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hey there, arguiled, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

All glory and no grit? Hmmm. You may want to look at something like Dreamweaver (available from Adobe).

But to be realistic you're never going to have a modern, useful website without getting up close and personal with the generic tech stuff or up close and personal with a professional designer.

There are some very good books out there on every level of web design. The barest minimum you'll need to know is HTML. There's a book (it may be a little dated, but HTML hasn't changed all that much) called "HTML in an Instant." I found it to be a superior primer for HTML and basic JavaScript. Check it out.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 15 December 2008 - 04:44 PM.

#3 arguiled

arguiled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

thanks, i know it is enevitable, but i do have a few buddies who can help with that when the time comes, and I have some specific ideas to achieve...I have dreamweaver, so i will check out some of the tutorials, and the book you mentioned, thank you.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

I found this useful back when I was asked to help build a few sites.
I downloaded a "page kit". This provided me a foundation to learn
from and build upon. Hope it helps.
http://www.elated.com/pagekits/
Scroll down the page for the free kits.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 mrg11545

mrg11545

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

When i was first learning Web Design i used Good-tutorials.com the dreamweaver section has coding tips and such.

#6 Wysi Free

Wysi Free

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

Jeepers. Dreamweaver?
If I had those bucks I'd read at this link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users