Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Deleted files on my desktop!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 WACOMalt

WACOMalt

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

so over the past two days, I made a bunch of art that was to be used for my job. It was all in a folder on my desktop called "Band Memories" (the name of the video we are making). So I am done for the day, so I shut down my computer (the proper way, I didn't just unplug it or something dumb like that... full shutdown.).

Today I turn it back on to continue my work, and that folder isn't there!

I have been through 2 restarts while the folder was there, but this third restart apparently ate my files...

So I did a search for "Band Memories" using just indexed locations, and I got a list of about 20 blank files. All had the little white file icon, and no name or description or anything, I couldn't click them, and I couldn't see where they are. Seems like the file index still thinks the files exist, but they don't, so it gets confused.

I did a search usign non indexed locations and I found a few temp files for premier, and that's it.

I had 3d files, photoshop documents, videos, etc. in that folder. All gone now.

So I tried to use NTFS Undelete to restore them.. but it freezes on 2% of the scan no matter how long I wait.

What can I do?

Why does vista delete files at random? (I had this happen before, where after windows updates I would find that the executables for many programs had been deleted.. like firefox 3, and photoshop) This thime no updates were involved though, so it is different, and it has NEVER deleted anything but executables.

I NEED these file back! I reinstalled vista about a month ago, and it seemed the random deleting had gone away... but apparently not...

Edited by WACOMalt, 15 December 2008 - 03:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users