Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dumprep.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cookie050505

cookie050505

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hi

Can anybody advise me on a very annoying problem I have been experiencing on my pc?

dumprep.exe appears several times in my task manager processes list & its using up a hell of a lot of my cpu causing my pc to sound as if its about to blow up. I believe this is something to do with Microsoft error reporting tool but I have never had this problem before.

Have run antivirus/adware/malware scans & all's ok there. So what is causing this and how do I stop it? I don't really want to have to disable dumprep.exe

Many Thanks

Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hey there, cookie050505

dumprep.exe is part of Windows' built-in error logging system. Whenever a program encounters a serious error or stops unexpectedly dumprep.exe prepares a text file about the error which it will then ask you to send to Microsoft.

If you've noticed certain programs quitting unexpectedly, thye may be the culprit.

If you're like many of us who would rather not have to keep clicking "no" whenever Windows wants to call home to report an error, you can disable the Error Reporting Tool. Disabling the tool should prevent any crash dump reports from being generated.

To disable the Error Reporting Tool:

1. Right click on My Computer, choose Properties from that menu.
2. Click on Advanced tab
3. Click the Error Reporting button.
4. Check the Disable error reporting box. You may choose to uncheck the the box below it, But notify me when an error occurs, if desired.

#3 cookie050505

cookie050505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

thanks mate, appriciate it

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

No problem... I'll send you my bill for two chocolate chip cookies and a glass of eggnog! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users