Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building New computer need advice badly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 groms

groms

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:35 AM

Ok guys so for the last couple of weeks I have been thinking
about getting a new computer to replace my very old gaming pc.
I rarely ever upgrade my computer but when I do I expect it to
last a few years at least (with minimal upgrades where necessary).

Current Specs:
Amd Sempron 2500+(o'c from 1.8ghz to 2.1)
2x1gbs dual channel 400mhz ram
msi-k7n2 board
ati9550 radeon 256mbs

granted not the best setup but considering I was a student at the time...

Ok so my major problem has been is it worth it to invest the money
in an i7-based computer or should I go for a core2 setup since I will be
mostly gaming on this pc? Also from the amd side of things I realize that
it can be much more affordable and perhaps I should even consider
getting the phenom II series due out next january? I have been going back
and forth all week on this one could really use an informed opinion.

Also consider that I would like to spend around 1k on this setup on the
core items. ie mobo cpu ram psu. thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:08 AM

An i7 chip is far superior to a Core 2 chip in terms of efficiency. Even the most inexpensive i7 setup is over $1000. I just pieced one together, and it was about $1400. That is if you want good components. If you get an AMD AM2+ ship today, you can upgrade to the Phenom II when it comes out in January. The Phenom II will have both AM2+ and AM3 chips. If you get a Core 2 chip, you will be in the LGA775 line of chips that are going to, eventually, be replaced with the i7 line when those chips become more reasonably priced. Below is a suggest config and why I chose those parts. If you're looking to save money, just reuse old stuff, like hard drives, cases (if one is large enough), and optical drives.

Case: Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower - You should get a full tower ATX case to accommodate the large graphics cards. This one is not only cheap and large, but also pretty to look at. $69 (before $20 mail in rebate)

Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - This is one of the highest rated AMD motherboards supporting AM2 and AM2+ chips along with Crossfire. I chose this because it is a good blend of value, power, and upgrade potential since it will be compatible with Phenom II processors. $149 (before $25 mail in rebate)

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 - Since the motherboard supports Crossfire, you can use two of these. I decided not to go for the 4870 X2 even though it is the most powerful card because of the cost which is almost twice as expensive as the regular 4870. If you can afford that card, go for it since it runs a bit faster in some applications than the GTX 280. $194 (before $20 mail in rebate)

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - This will provide enough power. Corsair makes excellent PSU's. If you go for the HD 4870 X2 or plan on going Crossfire, you might want to get a more powerful PSU. $99 (before $30 mail in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - I chose this processor due to its power and overclocking potential. The Black Edition processor has an unlocked multiplier making it easier to overclock. It's a great mix of value and power. Phenom II chips, when they arrive, should cost $50 or more above this processor. $199

RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - Good price. You want two of these to take advantage of your motherboard's potential. $65 each, $131 for two (before $30 mail in rebate)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Plenty of space. $69

Optical Drive: LITE-ON Combo Drive - You need a simple drive to load software. $20

CPU Heatsink and Fan: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - One of the reasons why Black Edition processors are inexpensive is because AMD saves money by not including a heatsink and fan. This one is large with a big fan, but it is also extremely quiet. Thankfully, an ATX full tower case is large enough to handle it. $28 (before $10 mail in rebate)

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need a 64-bit OS to take advantage of all that memory. $99

$1,065

Edited by DJBPace07, 15 December 2008 - 03:12 AM.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:31 AM

At this point, I might consider waiting to see what the new Phenom IIs are going to do. I don't think there is any speculation that they are going to equal/surpass I7 numbers, but they could be on par with, or slightly faster than Core2 chips for signifigantly less. Reviewers are already benching them, but NDAs are still in effect so no real info has been posted. If you have the cash, by all means an I7 platform, with a good video card, would be the way to go at this point.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

An i7 is expensive and will probably dominate over the Phenom II's, But the cheapest 2.66GHz i7 CPU is about $300, a decent mobo for the i7 is about $300, DDR3 is $250, and decent video card $250. All of this is before a PSU, OS, case, and drives. The LGA775 processors will most likely not get more powerful and will be phased out whereas the AM2+ will get some of the Phenom II's.

3939.png

#5 groms

groms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Thanks so much for the info guys I really appreciate the fast responses. I like the setup that was presented with the am2+ motherboard being able to support the newer phenom cpu's. Given my budget I will probably try to hold off a few weeks until the phenom II is released and see if I can't find a phenom II for a bit more than the 9950 will run me.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

From what I've read, the Phenom II will be released Jan. 8. The processors released on that day will be the Phenom II X4 920 at 2.8GHz. and the Phenom II X4 940 at 3GHz. The AM3 chips will be launched in Feb. From what AMD has announced, AM3 processors will be compatible with AM2+ boards but AM2+ chips will not be compatible with AM3 boards.

3939.png

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

Just a note, using the promo code, for $10 more, you can get a Corsair 750 Watt Power Supply, that comes with a $20 rebate.
It's in todays newsletter.
Promo codes expire 12/21/2008
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users