Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Guard 2008, Infected

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AsaSpades

AsaSpades

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Im pretty sure I am infected with some spyware, I always get random popups of spyware guard 2008, and balloons that autoupdates and off and etc. I have McAfee Security Center, but I dont think its helping, it says its detected something, but cant delete it. I have one file called gadcom but I cant delete it, i only removed it from the startup menu. Can someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

Please run this MBam scan and post back a log.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 AsaSpades

AsaSpades
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

ok well i downloaded it, and when i was trying to install it the installer wouldnt load so i restarted my laptop and when it rebooted it would always crash, i wouldnt be able to do anything, so i tried booting it and safe mode and it wouldnt passs the black screen :-(

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 AsaSpades

AsaSpades
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

Thanks, I would try it but my computer crashes after it restarts, I can only click on the start button, nothing else works, and if I try 2 keep clicking on something else the computer beeps. The computer also wont boot in safe mode, it freezes at the black screen.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

Are you getting any error messages? Crashing and shutdown problems can be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and even malware. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis.

When Windows XP detects a problem from which it cannot recover, it displays Stop Error Messages which contain specific information that can help diagnose and resolve the problem detected by the Windows kernel. An error message can be related to a broad number of problems such as driver conflicts, hardware issues, read/write errors, and software malfunctions. In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error or crash occurs. You may not see the error code because the computer reboots too fast.

An easier alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cpl
Click Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.
  • Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
  • Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
  • Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.
Vista users can refer to these instructions: How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows Vista.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information that will allow you to better trace your problem. Write down the full error code and any files/drivers listed, then provide that information in your next reply so we can assist you with investigating the cause.

#7 AsaSpades

AsaSpades
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

Ok well i got the computer to actually work, and I installed the MBAM program, but im having problems running it, I changed the name, and I tried changing just the extension, and it still didnt work.

#8 AsaSpades

AsaSpades
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

ok i got it to run, heres the log, there were some that couldnt be deleted

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1456
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/15/2008 4:51:55 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-15 (16-51-55).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 64548
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 3
Registry Keys Infected: 21
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 5
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 31

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvSLfcd.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\awtsQgEV.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rkhdngft.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{5275c9b3-7b7c-4936-9fdf-f91f622c31e2} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5275c9b3-7b7c-4936-9fdf-f91f622c31e2} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\awtsqgev (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{77ab59b4-55a3-4737-9fd5-b93c6430bf78} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{77ab59b4-55a3-4737-9fd5-b93c6430bf78} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{5275c9b3-7b7c-4936-9fdf-f91f622c31e2} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{77ab59b4-55a3-4737-9fd5-b93c6430bf78} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\contim (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\instkey (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\rdfa (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\spyware guard (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\spyware guard 2008 (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\spywareguard (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Notification Packages (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\tuvslfcd -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\ (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: ("regedit.exe" "%1") Good: (regedit.exe "%1") -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Authentication Packages (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\tuvslfcd -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\ -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: system32\ -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard 2008 (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard 2008\quarantine (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\AsaSpades\Application Data\gadcom (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvSLfcd.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcfLSvut.ini (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcfLSvut.ini2 (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\awtsQgEV.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cwugqnsu.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\usnqguwc.ini (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rkhdngft.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSbrsr.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSoiqh.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSriqp.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSxfum.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSmhlt.sys (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\AsaSpades\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ENABNHYM\zc113432[1] (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard 2008\conf.cfg (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard 2008\mbase.vdb (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard 2008\quarantine.vdb (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard 2008\queue.vdb (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard 2008\spywareguard.exe (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard 2008\vbase.vdb (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\~.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\sysexplorer.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\reged.exe (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\spoolsystem.exe (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\sys.com (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\syscert.exe (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\vmreg.dll (Rogue.SpywareGuard) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect\svhost.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect\track.sys (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSlxwp.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSStkdu.log (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

Your MBAM log indicates you are using an outdated database. Please update it through the program's interface or manually download the updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a new Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections (TDSS[random characters.***]) was related to a nasty variant of the TDSSSERV rootkit component. Rootkits and backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control again. and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

• "When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
• "Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
• "Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

#10 AsaSpades

AsaSpades
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

Wow this is crazy, thanks tho, any idea how I got infected? I jus remember one day random Spyware guard ads kept popping up and I knew something was wrong. Heres the new log, but im jus going to go ahead with the reformat

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1508
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/16/2008 4:16:59 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-16 (16-16-59).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 67228
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 3
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 9

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ajnqgg.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nmilzw.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dborvc.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0b2c152f-6f17-4ad3-870e-664c244edabb} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{0b2c152f-6f17-4ad3-870e-664c244edabb} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{a772450a-4a5b-4571-b0b1-219088973203} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0e052ece-e29b-4f8a-aed0-fd2ef4dfc606} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ajnqgg.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nmilzw.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dborvc.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\apcvfyqt.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qscvixcw.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vpjcddlc.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\AsaSpades\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\EO8VQDAC\SpywareGuard2008[1].exe (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\AsaSpades\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\YTSLO6BM\index[1] (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\svhost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Now rescan again with MBAM but this time perform a Full Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

We will address how you got infected and prevention tips after cleaning your computer.

#12 AsaSpades

AsaSpades
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

I already reformatted :thumbsup: , should i do a scan anyway or no?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

Sometimes a reformat is the best solution. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action. No need to do the scan but keep MBAM as part of your anti-malware toolkit.

Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".
• "Use Task Manager to close pop-up messages to safely exit malware attacks"

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software, crack sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users