Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questons On New Hardware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hi all, just got a few questions re my new comp.

I have a

Geforce 790i Ultra Motherboard
2 X Corsair 1GB ram.
Geforce 9800GTX+ 512MB Graphics card
Core 2 Duo Processor 3.16Ghz LGA775 ( E8500 )

The motherboard came with a tool for changing the performance settings ( speed settings ) of the ram, cpu ect. ( Think its called NVIDIA nTune, )
When im in this tool it says my CPU & ram are running at 333Mhz ( CPU ) & 666Mhz ( ram ) tho in BOIS it says all is running full speed ( 1333Mhz CPU & 1600Mhz RAM )
Also in this tool for example the slider to increase the CPU speed only goes as high as 700Mhz. I have of course uninstalled this program now but it would be a usefull tool if i could use it, any advise on it would be great.

Also just wondering 2 more things, my ram is 1600Mhz & CPU is 1333Mhz, does my CPU therefore limit the ram to 1333Mhz also?

My ram is also able to run at 2000Mhz with EPP 2.0. I do not no what this is or how to use it lol, but i do no my motherboard does support it. any advise once again would be great.

Im also having a small problem when playing games, i have been playing " Left 4 dead " & wile playing at random times it closes the game, no error or anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

The FSB is recorded as QDR (quad-data rate). So the bus speed is 1333mhz, divide it by four, and you get 333mhz. Now taking this into consideration, this is why it won't let you do more than 700mhz. For every 1mhz you raise it in that program, you're raising the processor's frequency by four!

I'm a little confused on the ram though. Ram runs at DDR (dual data rate) so you would divide the number by two instead of four. 1600/2=800mhz. I don't know why it would be showing up as 666mhz. You may want to try updating the program as the version you have may be from pre-DDR3 error, and they never expected anyone to go that high.

Raising the ram speed wouldn't really help you see much of a performance increase at all. It's probably better to just leave it where it is.

Are you experiencing this problem with all your games? I assume you probably have updated drivers for your graphics card since it's new. You may want to go to the valve forums. Others may be having a similar problem.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

Ok thanks Sterling, when i think about it the RAM speed may of been 800mhz... as i said ive uninstalled the program so not to sure but ill reinstall now that you have cleared that up for me.

So i figer for the CPU i shouldnt raise it to 700Mhz as that would be 2800Mhz.... Which seems to high..., Also if i raise it too high would i need to start bringing up the voltage to the cpu? I was thinking about trying it on 400mhz (1800mhz)

Its just the Left4dead game that does it, ive had a quick google on it but ive turned the settings down slightly & doesnt seem to be doing it now.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

If you're really intent on overclocking your processor, than I can give you a hand. I would recommend doing it through your bios though instead of using that software. Since you're a beginner though, this may be easier to learn how overclocking works though.

Overclocking has it's advantages, and of course disadvantages. Your temperatures are going to get hotter, and there will be more stress on your processor. Your computer will run faster though, especially in games.

You had the logic on how the processor's frequency is determined a little wrong. You take the processor's bus speed (the 333mhz, not the 1333mhz), and multiple it by the processor's multiplier. Your processor has a multiplier of 9.5 (9.5 x 333mhz= about 3.16ghz). To determine what your processor's frequency is going to be, you multiply whatever you change the bus speed to, and multiple by the multiplier (the 9.5 number). At first, I would suggest turning your clock up to 357-358 mhz which will make your processor run at 3.4ghz. If the computer seems stable, go ahead and maybe try going up to 3.6ghz. If you start noticing the system to hang or crash, then take it down a bit.

Now, if you ever do overclock too far, and the system will not post or boot, take the cmos battery out for a couple minutes to reset the cmos.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

Ok cheers sterling, i will overclock it at somepoint ( when i get some better fans ) , i have been reading a few fourms on overclocking now so i no what im doing a bit better now. Cheers 4 the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users